THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Looking for a load for 158 gr. hard cast in .35-.284, .350 RM, and .35 Whelen

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a load for 158 gr. hard cast in .35-.284, .350 RM, and .35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just a very mild load please. Say one reaching 1400-1500 fps (to hopefully avoid leading). Anyone have a suggestion?
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry/AK:
Just a very mild load please. Say one reaching 1400-1500 fps (to hopefully avoid leading). Anyone have a suggestion?
Jerry/AK

Jerry,

I have to check my load notes, but recall getting that speed with 2400, and I believe 18 grs, but need to confirm the load. I know you can use Unique at ~12 grs as well.

My favorite cast bullet load in the 350 Rigby is a 200 gr WFN over 14 gr unique for 1400 fps, it'll put them all in one hole at 50 yds if I do my part.

If you can stretch a lunch hour and meet me down at Rabitt Creek, I have a box loaded up that you are welcome to send down range [Big Grin]

If you're shooting gas checked bullets, you can drive them pretty fast before leading. When I shot some commercial 180 gr hardcast, they were leading @ 1700 fps, but they were also sized .357" which isn't a good thing in a rifle.

I have some 200 gr WFN gc's if you'd like to try some.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, try 8-12 grains of Unique or a grain or 2 less Red Dot or similar amounts of anything in between. 10-12 grains Unique should be around 12-1450 fps give or take. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I don't know what I'm doing (no rude comments, please), I dump in 13.0 grains of Red Dot. Given a reasonable bullet weight and a normal size case, it's safe, and it works.

Credit to C. E. Harris on this one.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW 13 grains of Red Dot is a little hot for the speed we were looking for here. Would be prob'ly around 1700 fps. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "The Load" of CE Harris, I happen to use 13 gr of Red Dot in my .375 H&H with a 255gr cast bullet. Of course, with the large case, the same load will produce a lower velocity compared to a small case like the 35 Whelen.

Anyway, for anybody interested, out of a 25 inch barrel, my loads average 1305fps.

I've use the same 13gr load of Red dot in calibres including the .270 Win, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 358 Norma Mag, .375 H&H Mag and a bunch of others and it always has been easy to shoot and accurrate.

jpb

[ 01-24-2003, 13:22: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each of you.

Since I have Unique but don't have Red Dot, I think I'll try it at 12 grains.

Paul, thanks but a lunch hour just isn't enough time to both eat (mandatory to my biology) and enjoy a range session. [Smile] Some other time though...
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote