Find
Notify
Tools

50/70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Anyone shooting a 50/70 with bullets heavier that the 450gn Lyman. I've heard of a 515gn RCBS mould but it's not listed on line. Buffalo arms advertise a Lyman 515142 but this also is not a current catalogue item. Going to custom mould makers, the standard designs start at 625gn and up to 740gn.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Lyman is only 425 grs. Lee makes a mould for a nice 500 gr. you might look at.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
<quigleysharps4570>
posted
In my Accurate manual, it's showing a 550gr. flatpoint RCBS bullet. So they did make one, still should be some somewhere. I'll be damned if I can find it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo arms list the RCBS & Lyman as bullets but you can't buy the moulds. I had a 515gn Lee but the bullet casts 520 and is the same as all the outers; uses too much powder space!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4710.html

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW,

I'm thinking of a 600-650 grain tapered custom mold, with maybe a hollow base (maybe not). There are several custom outfits here in the US that can make pretty much anything you can think of. I figure the tapered bullet should ride at least half way out of the case into the barrel. From what looking around I have done, I should be able to have said mold made for around $100 US.

What weight/configuration were you thinking of shooting?

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post