New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 115 gr 30 cal in .308?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I've only tried this one a few times out of the wifes .308. The first time I loaded the loads so long before I actually shot them that I couldn't find my notes of what the charge weights were. This time I tried increasing charges of Unique, going from 12 to 14 grs. I didn't have the chrono out, so dunno how fast they were clocking.

The accuracy was good, but not great. They would go into 1" at 50 yds for 5 shots, with most groups having 3 shots together, and 2 shots together. If they were all equally spread groups I'd be contnent, but it seems like if it can put 3 into one ragged hole, the potential for better accuracy is there. The only thing I can guess is I was shaving lead upon seating. I don't have an M die, so use a bridge reamer to provide a shallow chamfer on the case mouth.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H, I have two of those Lee molds (bought them for $7 ea. from their "bargain basement") and am impressed with them. Those little CB's should be grouping a bit tighter for you @ 50yds., but you have to tinker with the load and the OAL. Shaving lead is never a good thing for CB accuracy and barring the M-die, try a pair of needle nose pliers to gently expand the case necks: Insert into neck; press down slightly and rotate ~1 turn. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Thanks for the tip. I found I can't seat them very long. I tried seating them out, but upon chambering, stuck the bullet in the neck. No problem I thought, well, after some work getting the case out w/o bullet. I didn't realize a bunch of powder was still in the chamber until I tried to chamber a round at the range, and it wouldn't close. Fortunately there was a cleaning rod in the range house.

I figure it should group better, and I too am impressed with the little bullets. Especially the 14 gr load, the paper was noticably more torn up, which indicates they were wapping the target pretty good.

Any input on whether the bullets prefer being pushed, or mild loads? Cast em hard, or soft?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H, Generally I don't push the little Lees too fast because I then have to readjust my scope. However, since they are gas checked, you can certainly approach 1,800fps with them. Also, my standard alloy is wheel weights + 1% Sn or lately, 1 lino. to 6 wheel weights (i.e., until I run out of lino.). This alloy will tolerate 1,800fps without heat-treating with NRA-formula bullet lube or the equivalent. As for a load, I've used 13-14gr. Green Dot with said CB, but may try 16gr. Unique next. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Among the junk on my reloading bench is a pulled .50 BMG bullet and a couple cheap tapered punches. A gentle tap on the BMG bullet will do a good flare on anything I have ever tried. The punches give a very long gentle flare, especially good for long CBs. The bigger one is heavy enough so no hammer is needed. Put punch in case mouth and rap on the bench.

Purists might shudder. (A lot of what I do makes purists shudder.) Nevertheless, my methods work a lot better than trying to make do with an unflared case mouth.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I just ran the reamer in deeper, and it seemed to do the trick. I have a small lathe, so can easily turn up a flaring tool, but was too lazy.

I'll have to try red dot next time out.