This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/81710648

15 March 2003, 09:57
Lloyd Smale
radiator solder
was given #100 of it today what is the ratio of tin to lead in this solder
16 March 2003, 01:15
jpb
I don't know how standardized this solder is, but about 10 years ago I got a bucket of solder from a radiator shop (in Canada).

I found this particular solder was a a great source of tin: Sn30/Pb70.

HTH,

jpb
16 March 2003, 02:25
arkypete
Lloyd Smale
In what form did the solder come to you?
I've picked up solder at scrap yards 1 in by .75 inch by 12 - 14 inches long that were 50/50, 40/60. I have used these as sweetener for a pot full of wheel weights, didn't take much to make nicely filled out bullets.
Jim
23 March 2003, 10:18
db4
Lloyd- I was in the radiator business for some years and can reliably state that...it could be anything from 30/70 to 70/30 to proprietary alloys the manufacturer keeps secret. No standardization at all. The only useful information is that it is probably tin-rich enough to improve casting quality and is unlikely to contain significant amounts of antimony. My partner used to mix in shop salvage solder to get wheelweight metal to pour better, thoroughly unscientific but okay for his uses, which was mostly .358 wadcutters.
23 March 2003, 10:39
Lloyd Smale
thanks for the info!!
quote:
Originally posted by db4:
Lloyd- I was in the radiator business for some years and can reliably state that...it could be anything from 30/70 to 70/30 to proprietary alloys the manufacturer keeps secret. No standardization at all. The only useful information is that it is probably tin-rich enough to improve casting quality and is unlikely to contain significant amounts of antimony. My partner used to mix in shop salvage solder to get wheelweight metal to pour better, thoroughly unscientific but okay for his uses, which was mostly .358 wadcutters.