New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is shooting cast more fun?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
This is sort of an extension of the revelation poll/thread.

I got the thinking that maybe shooting cast is more fun then jacketed. In a logical sense, you�re sending a bullet down the barrel, and punching holes in paper or game. That said, I seem to get a lot more enjoyment casting my own bullets, working up loads, and punching paper and game.

With jacketed bullets it seems that my load work consists of a particular velocity and group size goal. If my loads don�t achieve this goal, then I�m not happy. With cast loads, it seems that even the less than optimal loads are still fun to squeeze the trigger on, and when I don�t reach my goals, I look at it as a learning experience, and chance to figure out why things aren�t doing what I want.

The absolute most fun loads have also been the mild to midrange loads. Whenever I or friends launch 35 cal pistol bullets at 800-1200 fps from a 35 cal rifle, there is nothing but big grins. No recoil, very little report, but still a much bigger hole than a 22 rf.

So, is casting and shooting cast more relaxing and enjoyable for you?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul! I can give you a number of reasons I like cast better. Cheaper, make my own, lots easier on steel targets ( althought you can make them really hard on those targets if you want to),easier to clean,lots easier on good bores, less recoil most of the time,...and a crazy last answer....the less I buy, the less sales tax my government has to waste on goofy projects. Ps just thought of 2 more reasons!

Cast loads aren't near as loud ( mostly) and won't shoot as far ( I am talking for safety)

I have wanted a .358 win for some time.... but my .357 seems to do all I need most of the time.

cast bullets are a Beach Boy Hit...."Fun,Fun,Fun"

Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
much more fun...! I get a certain satisfaction out of making my own and then developing a good load that shoots well! It's another extention to the shooting hobby!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I do cast bullets out of civic duty and my altrustic nature. I collect the wheel weights to prevent them from falling in the hands of those careless fisher persons who may pollute the various water ways with home cast fishing weights. I clean up all the polution on the wheel weights, properly dispose of it in the local trash landfill,the lead is subjected to flames and heat to further purify it. Then
I properly dispose of the lead in a system using great pressure and heat. During this disposal the lead gets spun rapidly with lots of purifying air pushed across it to remove any residual dirt and pollution, then wiped thru some paper and card board and finally buried at an approved site.
Fun is not part of the deal it's hard work. I should be paid to do it.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky, you are a poet deserving of great respect. I have never read a better treatise on protecting the environment.
I shoot nothing but lead in my revolvers and lever guns. I get accuracy that equals jacketed and killing power on deer that jacketed bullets will never match. Whimpy loads need not apply either.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
I find that my lead disposal and pollution abatement requires various new acquisions to test for process improvement. There are quality control tests using new packaging and launching systems for the lead disposal process. Then there's continued research in the shape and quanity of the lead in each package used for disposal launch.
It's never ending work, I'll continue for my love of my fellow man.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul - There is a whole extra diminsion to shooting cast bullets, i.e. YOU MADE THE PROJECTILE.

And most cast bullet makers are really scroungers. They hunt for all sorts of devious sources of lead and alloy metal. Then they put it all together, slave over the hot pot, lovingly lube and gas check the product, test and develop their own loads and finally launch their little silver rockets.

Probably 2/3 of everything I've ever shot or ever killed was with a cast bullet I MADE. And I loved every minute of it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I'm still amazed when I dump out the quenching bucket onto a newspaper to dry and look at all those perfect shiney boolits.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H

Your question made me think more profound about what I do and why.

First. I enjoy shooting as many bullets as I can in the shortest period of time (Practical shooting training). Two advantages; Cast bullets need less powder as jacketed ones for achiving same velocities ,it means less recoil, high speed velocity. I can shoot many more plain cast bullets than jacketed with the same cost.One disadvantage; smoke

Second. Reloading cast bullets let me try different sizing diameters, minimizing barrel leading , etc. Minor disadvantage ; lube is dirty, hard lubes let reach acceptable levels.

Third; Bullet casting is a lot more enjoyment because I try different alloys, measuring their hardness, barrel leading and accuracy. I always try to change something from batch to batch,then meassuring hardness as cast, 24/48hs after, one week after, etc and comparing batches behavior.

Fourth; I read in this forum how interesting are bullet lube test, testing accuracy,speeds, etc. It is a pleasure reserved for riflemen only, not fo me , I can not find significative differences for my low velocity handgun bullets. But believe me, cast bullets and lubes made me think about buying a 1909 Argentine Mauser,in the same way as the question you initiate this nice thread.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
BA,

You don't necessarily need a rifle to test lubes. When I had my SRH 480 scoped to work up loads, I also did a lube test. The gun with a good load would group 5 shots into 1" at 50 yds. I found that Lee alox stick lube and RCBS green stick lube would signifigantly open up groups, while LBT blue, Lee liquid alox and my homemade beeswax/moly lithium greese lube grouped very tight.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, have you tried making some Felix lube? I think you would love it. I cut groups by 2/3's with it and do not ever consider changing. LBT magnum lube is better for revolvers then the Blue.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote