New
Find
Notify
Tools

How fast?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How fast can you push a linotype plain base cast bullet? What kind of lube do you prefer for this use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rifle or pistol?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I figured fast was fast. But, in this case it is a rifle. The bullet is from an RCBS mold, 43-370-FN I use in my 11.2x60 shuler.
WW metal lubed with alox at 1680 fps was no problem. I was curious if linotype being harder could be pushed faster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit, but not a lot. No less an authority than Wayne Gibbs told me years ago that with the proper alloy, sizing, and lubrication, that a gas check was unnecessary for anything up to 2000 fps, but after that a GC was necessary.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1800-2000 would be plenty.
They drop from the mold a .441 with linotype, .440 barrel. Any lube recommendations?
Thanks for the info!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TB40, plain old NRA Formula #2 is very hard to beat, IME. It is still available from several sources, I believe. I have several sticks of Tamarack's version of that lube and would gladly send you a few sticks if you cannot find it.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, thankyou for the kind offer, I did find some in my stash of stuff. I figured there would be a new wonder lube everyone uses. Nice to know I am not totally outdated!

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Around 2500-2700fps the learning curve really gets steep!
But 3000+ fps is quite doable and quite accurate when done right.

If you follow a few rules then it's not that hard.
1) proper bullet fit (ie. .001-.002" over slugged diameter)
2) proper bullet lube

The following is my experinces:
Up to 1600fps'ish i cast lead + 3% tin (BHN 9)
Up to 1750fps'ish cast lead + 3% tin (BHN 9) and a gascheck
From there and past 2200fps i cast lead + 3%t in + 3% antimony (BHN 12) and a gascheck.

Loading and shooting lead is not hard but it is easy to f*** up if not done right, and thats where horror stories of badly leaded barrels and disgrunted ignorant shooters come from.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can be as ignorant as the best of them, that's why I asked for advice first. Wink
I found a couple boxes of those graphite ribbon/strips in my stuff. You push a "wad" of this graphite over the case mouth, then seat the bullet. In the long neck of this case, that would work, but is there any benefit?