New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cobwebs on my loading presses!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For the last five weeks I have been out of town every weekend and when I'm in town I'm mowing grass or fixing something. I've been to 5 wedding in the last six weeks it seems like everybody is getting married or their kids are. I finally got a chance to get down to the basement and found real spider webs on my loading presses. That's gotta be a first, so I loaded up some .303 savages shells and some 45-70's and I'm going to the range. I hope there are no spider webs in the safe. Hopefully I will be able to get some time on the computer to post also. I guess I'm back.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wedding gifts for FIVE, WOW, you could have bought another shooter!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You might want to check and make sure the rust monsters haven't attacked anything in the safe while you were out.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could have gotten a couple of new guns for what the wedding gifts cost. As far as the safe I have one of those low wattage heaters and that keeps corrosion to about zero. Got out to the range yesterday, it was only 94 degrees 80 percent humidity and the sweat was running in my eyes but the cast bullet loads in 303 savage put a couple of nice ten shot groups of .75 and .9 inches at 50 yards. that was with a peep sight at 50 yards. The 45-70 groups with reloader 7 were OK but nothing to brag about. The .303 Savage cases made from 220 swift hulls seem to really tighten up the groups compared to the 30-30 cases I was using before.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, Try Frank Marshall Jr.'s recommended load of 13gr. Unique in your .45-70 wi. CB's from 325gr. - 465gr. It's a tack driver @ 50 yd., mighty accurate at 100 yd. and easy on the shoulder to boot. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you think thats bad, I think I've been to the range at most 4 times in the last year, I know of only two trips this year.

I haven't noticed cobwebs, but there is a thick layer of sawdust on my reloading bench from the boat I'm building, hence the lack of shooting and re-loading.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, sounds familiar. I made a new radio control airplane and had to clean the entire basement of balsa dust. Now I am making a flintlock for a friend. Oh well, thank god for shop vacs. My loading equipment is again buried.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So have the wife sew up a dust cover to slip over the reloading press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First it's dustcovers then next it's Doilies. It's a steep decent once you start down that road. <G>

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Paul, sounds familiar. I made a new radio control airplane and had to clean the entire basement of balsa dust. Now I am making a flintlock for a friend. Oh well, thank god for shop vacs. My loading equipment is again buried.

What type of plane did you build? I built several r/c sailplanes, and one of these days, when I have free time (whats that?) I'll build another.

Using an 8" 40 grit sander on the 22 1/2' boat generates orders of magnitude more sawdust than a model plane I try to roll the hull out in the driveway for major sanding and cutting tasks. But, sometimes you just gotta let the dust fly

A dust cover would sort of be admitting defeat, ie that I really don't have time to re-load. Then again, it would protect the press. I think I can sacrifice a plastic trashbag for the task.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a .40 size Telemaster with flaps. Haven't flown it yet but it is a nice plane. Plans really suck though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Do a search on P38 (Lightning) flying models. Some of those things are huge. ( I am thinking one of them used 2 rather large weed eater engines!) I couldn't fly a kite but they say the 2 engine jobs are not for the inexperienced. If you want a little idea of what the planes are like...get Janes WW2 fighters for your computer. The graphics are pretty good and are a gas for WW2 buffs like me. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote