New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x.222Rem, .243/244?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen (and the odd cack'handed bugger or two)

I had built a nice little 6x.222rem a while back (Sako A1) as a light walking rifle, with the intention of using it for mainly vermin.
The barrel is cut at 22" and has a 1-8 (cut rifling) twist rate, with the idea of maybe playing with a few sub loads for fun and games.

I've been in touch with a company that will provide me with bullets cast from a SEACO mould to throw bullets weighing 95Grns (gas checked).
My question is this...
Knowing that l have a 1-8 twist barrel and mainly intend to run them at or close to subsonic speeds, would l be better served using the .243 or .244 sized bullets (barrel is true .243" bore).
Or is this just one more "Suck It and See" projects l've got myself into here....

Advice and insults appreciated.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each gun is a law unto it's self but 1 thou. over is a great place to start, my vote would be .244.
Aaron

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron.

l've done some reading on the subject, and most suggest that as you say 1-2thou over bore can help when shooting cast bullets.
l think my main concern is running them at low velocity, and not wanting to either get one stuck in the bore or running into pressure problems due to reduced powder loads (Unique,N110,Bluedot,5744 etc).
l've calculated that l can just manage a 60% load of Trail Boss (there will be no more imported until IMR have manufactured the next batch to conform with the new EU REACH compliance regulations) which should yield on or about subsonic velocities

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rat--My experience with .243 and cast bullets is pretty much opposite of what you are trying to do. I have the 95 grain gas checked RCBS mold. In my Win Mod 70 (don't recall the twist rate) I loaded some that according to the Lyman Manual should have been around 2400FPS, but a chronograph that seemed to be reading all other loads accurately, showed them at 2900fps. I was using "felix" lube and got no leading. I also shot them without the gas check and could not tell any difference. I did try them on a deer (a spike buck) with dismal results. Deer ran off without a trace of blood and no signs of being hit. Both me and my grandson had taken an easy shot at it, I see no way either of us missed. My OPINION of your question of size would be go with the .244.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is 100 other ways to get a subsonic load without buying the trail boss.
5 grains of anything red-dot/clays/bulls-eye/titegroup/700-X speed will do the same thing.
only with lower pressures and for 2 cents, not a dollar.
IMO without any type of measurement I'd go with the bigger bullet.
lead is soft, even 'hard' lead is soft, it's also slippery if your above 500 fps they will exit no problem.
you need the extra diameter to block the gas and keep it there, that's where leading comes from.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen.
The company informs me that this will form part of their first run of 6mm cast bullets, and so are supplying me with a batch of samples of every type (Gas-checked, plain cast and polymer coated, lucky me) they will be offering their customers in the future.
l will provide feedback from all rounds fired, including components used and chronograph velocities.
My initial desire was to produce a "Rimfire on Steroids" but if l have enough to test l will try and take it further for the company to see how far l can push it for them.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You might want to add Red Dot/PROMO to your list of possibilities.

Not sure how N110 acts in cast projie loads

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TC.

l intend to acquire a sample if possible of Red Dot. l read (no pun intended) in one of the latest "Hand Loader" mag's (l have it sent over the "Pond" for me) that the older Red Dot had some of the smallest extreme spreads using cast bullets in .357/.44 handgun cartridges that were tested with wadcutters.
l'll try and trawl through some old reloading books here and thise silly interweb thingy to see what shows up.
l've got a Ruger 77/44 in one of the cabinets that might get a run out down this road if l've time.