Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
I have a question for you guys. I've been casting handgun, rifle, and muzzleloading bullets for over 35 years now. Mostly 38 to 58 calibers. In the last 7 years I've been gathering the equipment to cast smaller calibers (22, 6mm, 25, 7mm, and 30).

My Lyman Manual 46, 49, and Cast Bullet Handbook and RCBS Cast Bullet Manual from 1986 all seem to have the same recurring theme and that is to hold velocity to 2000 fps or less with a few loads that gets up to the low mid 2000s.

The new small caliber molds I have now are gas checked and the alloy I've put together is as hard as Linotype according to the SAECO hardness tester.

My question to you is what kind of velocities are you getting out of your guns? Of coarse velocity is effected by a number of variables but I'm curious what you are pushing your lead bullets at.

22 Hornet Lyman 44 gr. RN GC

223 Rem RCBS 55 gr. SP GC

243 Win RCBS 95 gr. SP GC

257 Rob RCBS 120 gr. SP GC

7mm Mauser RCBS 168 gr. SP GC

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never tried running them at top velocities, but I know it has been done.

There is a book out there, now out of print, called "The Art of Bullet Casting". It was pressed by Wolfe Publishing quite a few years back. My copy has an article in it about high velocity with cast bullets. I would highly recommend finding a copy of the book. It is well worth the money spent.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick I have the 95 grain 6mm mold and the 58 grain .22 mold, both RCBS. I have found they shoot every bit as good without the gas check. I shoot the .22's in .222 and 22-250, but have not been able to get it to shoot with several loads in my .223. According to Lyman I'm shooting the .243 at 2400 fps, but a chronie said 2900fps and I don't know which is correct.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran them in my 308 up to 2300 fps. Accuracy wasn't worth diddly!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I was just wondering what kind of real velocities you were getting. The book loads looked a little slow to me. I'm not one of those guys that needs max speed out his loads but I do like to send the bullets down range at a realistic, safe speed.

Although I asked for information about a year ago, I haven't loaded any test rounds yet. I've been busy with larger bore rifles and shotgun loads. I do have hundreds of cast, resized, and lubed bullets in the calibers I mentioned.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick:

I haven't shot cast rifle bullets in 50 yrs.
I've seen some that have done real well in the CMP match's with them: 15-20gr Red Dot in '06 for one guy I know of. No idea his vels though.

The guys these days wanting faster loads have gone to making them with the powder coating. More hassle, but, lots more velocity and NO leading of the bore either. A friend showed me some from his 9 and acp that had been fired and the coating was still on them fired into rocky ground.

Seems like on this thread awhile back was a discussion about it. Castboolits site has an extensive on going exchange about it. Lots of info there.

I cast by the 2-3 gallon buckets full each winter for my revolvers. Though I haven't been able to get out shooting in several years due to health problems. So the stock pile is getting out of control.

Best wishes.
George/Pueblo

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How about powder coating for the higher velocities? I started this within the last year and leading has gone to near zero in the bores. Granted I shoot only double rifles, but I would believe that powder coating would allow you to boost your velocity.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes you can;I started out low + worked up but never experienced any excessive pressures.Also ALL of the recovered bullets had no sign of losing any of the powder coating.Bear in mind that was with a 7x57;I am happy using plain cast in my pistols + revolvers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote