Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets for .375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Does anybody have experience with light cast bullet loads for the .375 H&H? My daughter wants a larger caliber rifle than her .257 Roberts. She is dreaming of Afrioca, and wants something big enough for Buffalo. I figure that if I start her with light cast bullet loads, she can learn to shoot a .375, and with her .257 have a pair of rifles with which she can hunt anything in the world.

Dave

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman gas check 265 grain cast lead bullet, loaded with XMP-5744 or 3031 to about 1800fps, fairly accurate but not like a jacketed bullet, moderate recoil, inexpensive to shoot. I cast my own several years ago but I think Western Bullet makes them.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman & RCBS both make molds for .375 gascheck bullets that weigh about 250-265 grains. It's not difficult to load them up to 2000 fps. Accurate, effective on deer size game and recoil is comparable to a 30-06.

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS #37-250-FN which while nominally is a 250 gr. bullet, casts to 270 gr. in wheel weight metal.
My rifle is a Ruger #1 and with 49.0 gr. of IMR-4895 with a one grain tuft of dacron.. I get an estimated 1950 FPS, 1.5" groups at 100 yards, with recoil about the level of a hot 200 gr. 30-06 loads. Might be a bit stout for a starter load for a young lady, but I think it would be a neat load to try on deer.
I have two molds for this bullet. One casts abullet at .376" and has shallow grease grooves. The other casts to .379" and had deeper grooves. The latter bullet is the one that gives the good groups.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, which NEI mold do you have? I've been looking at their 280 gr. bullet, but I can't figure out which one. They have two, #180 & 180A, that are almost the same. The only difference I can see from their drawings is the GC seat.

I don't really need another 375 mold, but that NEI just looks "bullety" to me. Plus, I find myself with several thousand 375 gaschecks that need shot.

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .375 is a delight with light cast bullet loads. I use the NEI .375-280-gc. For a light load I use 15 gr. of any of the fast shotgun/pistol powders like green dot or red dot with a magnum (important) rifle primer. Velocity is around 1600 fps and accuracy is .6 moa. The only problem with this load is you end up casting loads of bullets as it is so easy and cheap to shoot. Should be good on small game too.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote