New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing a lyman top punch
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I have decided that Lee sizing products will not do everything I need to do in the area of bullet sizing since they do not have 375 or 512 sizers. Before I take the plunge into a Lyman setup, I need to know more about them. Is the top punch required to size bullets using the 450? Lyman lists the required top punch for various molds, but I have a very pointed NEI .375" mold and a CBE flat tip (3/8" meplat).512" mold. How do I determine the proper top punch to use? Should I supply Lyman with a drawing of the bullet and ask them? Thanks.

Ranb

<marrfam>
posted
Yes you do need a top punch for Lyman. What you can do is call Walt at NEI and have him make the correct top punch just give him the bullet number and that is it. Or you can try and make one your self by useing epoxy and a well coated bullet. Lyman wont make one. Easiest is just have Walt make a couple for you. BBT Cast Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb:
I have decided that Lee sizing products will not do everything I need to do in the area of bullet sizing since they do not have 375 or 512 sizers. Before I take the plunge into a Lyman setup, I need to know more about them. Is the top punch required to size bullets using the 450? Lyman lists the required top punch for various molds, but I have a very pointed NEI .375" mold and a CBE flat tip (3/8" meplat).512" mold. How do I determine the proper top punch to use? Should I supply Lyman with a drawing of the bullet and ask them? Thanks.

Ranb

I'm not trying to talk your otta a 450 purchase, but do your bullets actually need sizing? Alot of times they actually don't. Course the 450 is convenient for lubing.

If a bullet will chamber safely when loaded into the case per the neck dia, often it'll shoot fine.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aladin:
quote:
Originally posted by ranb:

Ranb

I'm not trying to talk your otta a 450 purchase, but do your bullets actually need sizing? Alot of times they actually don't. Course the 450 is convenient for lubing.

If a bullet will chamber safely when loaded into the case per the neck dia, often it'll shoot fine.

And Lee will make a custom die for $25 bucks-- the last 450 die I bought costed $16. If your a lower volume shooter who pan lubes it might be of consideration.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
I use gas checks with the rifle bullets I shoot, so I need a sizer to crimp them on. I will try making my own with epoxy. Good idea, thanks.

Ranb