Find
Notify
Tools

Pauls Lube?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi, I want to make a batch of bullet lube. I was going to try Felix's recipie on cast pics, but saw a post by Paul on his 480 ruger loads where he used 50/50 Moly grease and beeswax.
Paul. How does this lube work? Is it stiff enough to stay in the lube grooves for long term storage without turning a box of bullets all nasty? Will it work through my Lyman 450? Did you just heat it up, stir and let it cool? Sounds like it might be easier to make then the felix recipie.
Lar.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Hi, I want to make a batch of bullet lube. I was going to try Felix's recipie on cast pics, but saw a post by Paul on his 480 ruger loads where he used 50/50 Moly grease and beeswax.
Paul. How does this lube work? Is it stiff enough to stay in the lube grooves for long term storage without turning a box of bullets all nasty? Will it work through my Lyman 450? Did you just heat it up, stir and let it cool? Sounds like it might be easier to make then the felix recipie.
Lar.

I've been very pleased with the lube, pleased enough that I haven't been using any commercial lube, even though I have a 1/2 tin of Appache blue and a 1/2 stick of LBT blue.

It seems to stay ok on a box of bullets. My earlier mixes were softer, but I've since added more beeswax to stiffen it up. Don't use parafin no matter how tempted you are, as it won't hold worth a darn. I use mine in a Lyman 450, so yup, it'll work. If your casting area is warm, you won't need heat, but hanging a 60 w shop lamp on the side of the unit provides enough heat to soften it up.

Mixing it up is just heating, stirring, and letting it cool. Don't use a real high heat temp heat sorce as if you melt the beeswax too hot, it will ignite. I've never had a problem with that, but just want to caution you.

I haven't tried the Felix lube as it does sound complex, but also sounds like a great lube.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried a 50/50 mix of beeswax and water punp grease in the old days. Worked fine 9 months a year and killed loads the summer three.

Hit a sale on NRA formula Alox 20 years ago and bought a lifetime's supply. See no reason to use anything different for pistol, unless it's Liquid Alox for ease of application.

Rifle can be another story. One too long to go into right now.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote