New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 BPE bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am making a .450 BPE and would like to use paper-patched cast bullets. I am thinking maybe something around 325 grains. The rifle will be for animals like roe, sika, whitetails, reds, and possibly elk at th eupper limits.

Does anyone here load and make cast bullets for this round? Any suggestions on where I should get a mould and what style?

thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with Brent, he does the PP bullets for his BP single shot rifles. Be warned, it is tedious to say the least.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

If you don't already have it, get a copy of "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Mathews. It will cover about all there is to know about paper patch bullets. You can use just about any 45 caliber bullet mould that will cast the weight and style of bullet you want, size them down to the correct diameter and then patch them up to groove diameter.

I don't find casting and or paper patching to be tedious. It's just part of shooting old guns.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
There was a group buy a couple years back that made a paper patched 45 bullet in a Lee 6 cavity mold. I belive they dropped around .450-.451" and weighed around 380gns and are 1" long.
I haven't heard much talk about them lately, you might pick one up from someone here or at the Cast Boolit forum.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
I have some of the bullets cast if you want some to try. Just PM me if you want.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mark: If you want to mess with something heavier, I'd be happy to send you a few swaged .451s for paper patching. If interested, PM me.
Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote