Find
Notify
Tools

400 gn 416 cast proj
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got Tom at accurate moulds to make me a PLAIN base
400gn 416 double dia bullet mould....got out this week to shoot them...accuracy was the same as bullets which had been GC velocity was 1500 fps
In the next few weeks i will see how those plain based cast bullets hold up as far as accuracy goes @ a vel of 2100 fps with a load of 65 gns of Varget in the 416 RUGER
All bullets were powder coated

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
That's Great ! What weight do they come out to be . what nose shape ?
Did you get any leading ?
Got pics ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF
NO leading , the bullets were double diam with the nose riding on the rifle lands and accuracy is around 2 inches @100 yards they come out @400 gn BNH 12 but i have increased the amount of antimony i will be mixing in with the COWW now so BNH will be 15.... the bullets are veral s design WFN ...the frustrating thing is i fire 2 shots and there under an inch fire a third shot and it blows the group out to nearly 2 inches fire a fourth shot and its pretty close to where the first two shots impacted fire the fifth shot and it impacts an inch plus from the first two which were really close ....so i still have a bit to do to shrink those groups down.....the only problem i have is that i have ran out of ideas of what i can to to shrink those groups....
i have fired numerous 5 shot groups and i look at the groups, and with some consistency out of a 5 shot group usually 3 shots out of the 5 are really close...frustrating
i think the powder coating on the base of the bullet acts as a de facto GC at least on the loads that push the 400 gn proj @ 1500 fps...But the big test will be when i fire those plain base bullets with 65 gns of Varget and 70 gns of H4350...will report back
i cant post pictures as i have got no idea how to go about it!!!
if you can post i can e mail you some pictures of the 400 gn bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF
i spoke with one of the posters on here yesterday and he suggested i use LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS to ignite things...he said he gets ES in single figures , while im getting an ES of 30-40 fps using FED 210 primers....im using a load of 30 gn s of AR 2205 for a vel of 1500 fps 2205 is in the ball park of W296 H4227

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good luck with those large pistol primers, M98. I shot some nice 100-yard groups with a No. 1 in .416 Rigby with the RCBS 350-grain FN, but it was gas checked. I was using XMP5744 and getting right at 2,000 fps.
Check PMs and I will see about putting your photos up.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a (working) perspective. If 5 shots are within 3"ish @ 100 that would be a very fun plinker load. And actually would put meat on the ground real well. .
At 2000 fps it would be really something . Trick is to get that vel with at least that amount of accuracy. I will check out Accurate Molds site. Do you know if your mold is listed now on their site ?
I'm probably useless at picture uploading . I haven't kept up with my subscription to any web hosting sites.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF
yes the mold is listed on his site
42 401K GC
42 405 K PLAIN BASE

one of us
posted Hide Post
BILL
have you tried using the LPP ...you said good luck ..dont know which way to take that
The best accuracy i have from the 416 was when i turned the GC STEP DOWN rear off the proj on a lathe .....and powder coated them...they weighted 380 gn s and they were hovering around the one inch consistently
i will powder coat some more of those 400 gn proj and load them with LPP and just see what happens as compared to useing FED210

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
M 98, I used CCI 200 large rifle primers in the Rigby cases, and about 50 grains of XMP 5744. Groups ran right about an inch or a little larger depending on how much beer the night before.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
BILL
have you tried using the LPP ...you said good luck ..dont know which way to take that
The best accuracy i have from the 416 was when i turned the GC STEP DOWN rear off the proj on a lathe .....and powder coated them...they weighted 380 gn s and they were hovering around the one inch consistently
i will powder coat some more of those 400 gn proj and load them with LPP and just see what happens as compared to useing FED210

Interesting you are turning the gas check "step down" off your cast bullets in a lathe to make them plain base, I do the opposite with my plain base 404 cast bullets, using a lathe to turn a gas check step down, I just could never get any grouping shooting these bullets plain base in my rifle with any combination of powders and charges. Shoots lights out with gas checks but I am keen to try powder coating my plain base bullets. Maybe as you say the powder coat acts as a gas check.

If you find you do get good accuracy with your 416 plain base powder coated bullets at all velocities then you could turn the gas check step down out of your mould to make it a plain base mould and do away with the need to remove the step down on the bullets in the lathe.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nelson;
From the way I read it, that is what he did. Lathing out the mold.
Otherwise he would just be shortening the bullet.

As I don't have a lathe, much easier for me to just get a mold.
Would be nice to have a ready supply of affordable 400 gr bullets to poke out the muzzle @ 2100 or a bit less.
Would be fun to poke a moose with that load.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, you've been reading my mail. Smiler That is the same mould + powder choice that I use too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Nelson;
From the way I read it, that is what he did. Lathing out the mold.
Otherwise he would just be shortening the bullet.

As I don't have a lathe, much easier for me to just get a mold.
Would be nice to have a ready supply of affordable 400 gr bullets to poke out the muzzle @ 2100 or a bit less.
Would be fun to poke a moose with that load.

Bill said
"when i turned the GC STEP DOWN rear off the proj on a lathe"

I take that to mean he is taking the gas check step down off each individual projectile in the lathe i.e. shortening it as you say it would.

That was why I was suggesting better to turn the step down out of the mould which would leave the bullet original length.

I use my RCBS bullet puller die and collet to hold 404 cast bullets in the lathe 3 jaw chuck while I turn a step down on the bullet bases for a gas check, opposite to what Bill is doing. I can do around 120 bullets per hour on the lathe.

I could shorten my base pour mould blocks so the first grease groove becomes the step down for a gas check, although I haven't measured to see if the groove is not too small to hold 44 cal gas checks I use on my .423" cast bullets.

It is an original Richard Hoch custom mould so I am a bit adverse to altering it. My process in the lathe is not too bothersome and powder coating the plain base bullets may prove to be the real answer.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EAGLE
I have a mould which is cut for GC and before i got my plain base mould i cut the GC bases of the cast bullets to see how they would shoot...they shot really well!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected !
Has anyone tried powder coating gc boolits without the gc in place? If so , was there a difference in accuracy, leading,or velocity that was noticed ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like shooting gas bullets out of my 25 inch 416 Taylor barrel at around 1000fps.

Very quite As I have 1 in 10 twist I would like a heavy bullet say 450gr.

But it would mean a custom mold and I haven't went that route.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried powder coating gc boolits without the gc in place? If so , was there a difference in accuracy, leading,or velocity that was noticed ?

I have I can tell you they don't lead but that is as far as I went with playing with them

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote