New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two diameter sizing of boolets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In experimenting with sizers and casting (with some frustration in making the boolet the RIGHT size to both be large enough to correctly engage the rifling and the nose of the right size to lightly engrave for bore riding.

SO - what about a two diameter sizing die for sizer-lubricators? Nose punch would have to be part of the eject rod and the pushrod would be flat based to push the boolet in nose-first and then be ejected by the eject rod.

The result would be a die that would ensure by sizing or swaging the cast boolet to fit the throat.

Thoughts anyone?

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trk....That's not a problem for a clever machinist. Orygun Mark been experimenting with a die for GCing PB .358s for the .35 Rem. All that's required is a way to counterbore the smaller diameter. He's done it on a lathe and it works.

Problem is that you can't do a regular sizer. It can't have the lube holes in it. The bullet goes in and sizes all right but when you attempt to push it back out, the nose bumps and lead extrudes into the lube holes making it the very devil to get out and it looks like hell after you do.

A two...or even 3 diameter sizer...yes but not one that will size and lube./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TRK,
I had to start from scratch to make my GC shank sizer. I made a sizer die with-out any holes. I then bored thru with the GC shank size and then drilled down with the final cast bullet size I wanted which for my 35 Rem & 357 Max was .359. I drilled it so the bullet couldn't bump up in size. I then made a punch to fit the GC shank size and a top punch to the right nose shape. I have used it to GC Herters 35-200 RN and some lyman 35875's. So far it has worked great.I can now GC any 35 cal PB mould. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there an article in Handloader a number of years ago about doing just this very thing/ I believe the author sized, GC'd and lubed his bullets normally then put the bullet into another die, set up in his loading press, that supported the bottom part, lube grooves, etc and would squeeze down or swage up the bore riding portion. I think he even hollow pointed some bullets.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ALL for the ideas. There are quite a few options here. I could even see a special die set to reduce the size of the body of a boolet and bump up the size of the bore riding portion (perhaps even HP) with each having it's own eject assembly).

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paco Kelly and Hanned made a Freecheck die that made an aluminum gas check to go on PB bullets. You sized it on in the Lubersizer. They still make them. You can do this yourself by cutting a disc that is about .16" larger than the bullet size out of soda cans. Buffalo arms has a supplier that makes wad punches to custom sizes. Simply cut disc and put on the H die and size the bullet down on it. It helps to have turned a recess on the die top a little deeper than the soda can stock is thick and slightly larger with a highly polished radius on the inside to prevent tearing. Properly centered, these work very well and are very smooth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Friends!

I've made a nose sizer die to size down the noses/bore-ride pet of the Lyman #457125 bullets to fit the bore of my Pedersoli 45-70.

This two-diameter sizer die screws into my 7/8-14 thread in my relaoding press. Lube the nose slightly, push it in nose first, and push it out with an extractor rod from the top.
Then the bullets are lubed with a home made Pope-type lubricating pump.

This setup works very fine!

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote