New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whoops! Look at this!... Cast (?)Humor.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wasn't sure where to post this, they were cast bullets (I did cast them!), Shotguns (well...), or here. Humor won out though. Y'all enjoy the pics. It did work out in the end, though. The darn thing still works! After I finally got it Hammered back into shape.>>>>>>>>>Bug.
 -  -  - And, Finally,  -
They really show up better, at:
Careful Chronographing!
Bug.

[ 10-22-2003, 14:06: Message edited by: Bug ]

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your link doesn't seem to work for me.

elbStJoeMO

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That link only works for Bug, the owner of the album.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys. A case of operator headspace [Roll Eyes] ... Link is fixed.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bug.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't mind me laughing, I shot one of the screen supports on my Chrony. [Frown] Sent it downrange 25 yards! [Roll Eyes] I was only using a 9x18 Makarov! [Confused] Now I've got to order a couple of parts but fortunately, it still works as well, just not in bright sunlight. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't shot mine but I did toss the steel support rods and replaced them with 1/8" wood dowels... just in case. Also made them longer for a bigger window and it works fine.

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McDonalds straws work just fine as rods. Gianni

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
What's that old saying - "if you have a chrony you either HAVE shot it (or a portion of it, in this case), or WILL shoot it". So far, I haven't hit mine yet, but the muzzle blast from a 416 RMag did blow it over one time.

I read somewhere that putting strips of black tape on the skyscreen supports will help them show up better in your scope. 'Course, don't usually have a scope on a Makarov tho.. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see the description on ebay;

One slightly used chrono, A1 condition, only used once!!!

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bug,
I'm pissed!!! You blew that baby to hell and it still works...I only hit mine with a plastic Sabot from a 50 cal muzzle loader and it was DOA!!! Not covered by warranty...
Glad no one got hurt and glad it still works!!

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drilled mine right through the center with a 220 grain Berger VLD from a .300 Weatherby Magnum at about 2900 FPS. It slowly toppled over backwards at the first shot. I was really hoping the muzzle blast had done that. It hadn't. I'd forgotten about the bore line being well below the line of sight.

I've got another one. Still carry the shot one for spare parts. The Berger made a nice clean hole. I had the chrony really lined up well, the holes were centered all the way through.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah! I still hold the record-BOTH skyscreens of my Oehler 33 with one shot. Remember if you set up your chronograph of any make for an iron sight rifle, when you change to a scoped rifle the bore will be more lower than the line of sight than it was with the irons! Luckily the Oehler people sell the screens cheap. Sheepishly, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shot Bug. Tell me,how close in it's charge did it get to you? [Big Grin] derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate to admit it but I've shot two of the things. My new one is mounted to a piece of 2x6 with a 45 degree bevel on the front. A piece of steel plate is bolted to the bevel that extends just a bit above the chroney. Of course you need one with the remote readout.

BH

Posts: 48 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chrony has a gas check scar and I have shot the sun shades off of it. Still works but I built a lexan sheild for the front of it. Chrony is suppose to be good on exchanging "shot" ones for new ones for a fair price. ohshooter

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good boo-boo plate can be made from 2 galvanized electrical junction box covers sandwiching a piece of 1/2 inch rigid foam insulation.

Not going to help with that .300 Weatherby or .416 though...

Posts: 30 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed with how rugged the Chrony's are. I used to borrow one from a friend - a cast bullet reloader who also brewed some great beer. I never counted the holes that were in it but there must have been over a dozen or so.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
I did mine in with a 85gr 243Win, drilled it right between the eyes! I went from shooting at a 100yd target to a 25 yd target.....DUH!
With Chronies it's just a matter of time...hee hee [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged.

My faux pas was like Hobie's, committed by a transplanted East Bloc gun, the CZ-52 in 7.62 x 25. Killed it deader than DeLorean's credit rating.

I bought another downrange box, and it trembles noticeably whenever fired over. Those that have, and those that will--I'm probably BOTH.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After all of the stories I had read about shooting chronos (not shooting over them) I made up a lightweight wooden frame that attaches to my tripod behind my second screen. Even the instructions with my Pact say that if you hit your sensors, JOIN THE CLUB. I made up an alignment target on my puter that I attach to the frame with the bullseye centered 8" above the sensors. Figuring 1&1/2" low hit at the bench (due to scope mounting), that still gives me 6&1/2" before I hit anything except the screens. So far so good, nothing hit or damaged yet.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bug

Thanks for starting this thread. The day after it began the brown truck delivered my new Chrony. I've heard stories about people shooting their chronograph but I didn't know it was so common. Picked up some good tips from all the posters. Thanks guys. Hope I can muster the courage to try the thing out tomorrow.

Posts: 17 | Location: SE Ohio | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Dozer,

I like the 1/8" dowel ideal but I still need a new diffuser... [Roll Eyes]

Actually, these things are great. I never shoot targets through mine, only for speed checks and then I shoot targets. Still don't know exactly how that one shot with the Mak (the first of the session, don't you know! [Roll Eyes] ) was so out of line. Shot the rest of the series without the diffusers.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My theory is that if you have only shot one chrony, you aren't really trying!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poygan,
Ya just don't unnerstand... In anticipation of this very event, I made a "skyscreen and chrono protector". I knew the chances were very good this would happen. So I built a plate out of 5/8" steel, that sits at a 45 degree angle in front of the dang thang! It weighs about 10 pounds! I have to look at the readout from off to one side, to even see it! But, I guess I finally got up a little too high, and could reach down and smack the rear screen. Just goes to prove, there is NOTHING proof against a talented fool!>>>>>Bug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought by this time I would hear a story of someone shooting a charging feral Chrony in east Texas. With a cast bullet of course. <G>

Ed
AKA elbStJoeMO