The Accurate Reloading Forums
Multiple cavity mould trouble

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/75210248

20 August 2002, 23:42
John Y Cannuck
Multiple cavity mould trouble
I have used Lee, and Lyman single cavity moulds for many years, no troubles. Then I bought a double cavity Lee in 44 Mag. The mould blocks do not align, unless I turn the mould over, and tap them into place with my wooden sprue plate stick. It doesn't happen until I've made about 15 -20 bullets.
Has anyone else had any problems? Is this the norm for multiple cavity moulds?
21 August 2002, 02:13
Bad Ass Wallace
Check the joint in the handles; it is only a press circular clip and can sometimes work loose to cause misalignment.

I have several Lee moulds and eventually replaced the centre pivot with a proper bolt with lock nut.
22 August 2002, 11:05
arkypete
John Y Cannuck
I have greatfully placed every Lee mold that I have ever purchesed in the aluminium recycling bucket.
I've not got the patience to work with Lee molds when I have access to Lyman, Saeco, NEI, RCBS that work every time that I use them.
I have likened using Lee molds to wearing barbed wire jocky shorts. There is a certain satisfaction making them work but there's an easier way to do the same job.
Jim
22 August 2002, 11:44
aladin
I'd pitch the Lyman two cavities into the junk pile. Designed by bean counters- they're poor Q. And considering their Ideal tradition and excellent designs, that's a sad state of affairs.

The Lee I can work with. Cheap, easy to tune- and Lee will make good on them. I do understand guys' frustration at them though-- I've had a few 'ringers' too, but Lee took care of it.

I've written some pieces around the Net per tuning the Lee's-- as I call'm the 'Lee-ment'. Usually a mold can be made to operate like a first rate tool-- provided it already casts dimensions of use.
22 August 2002, 14:36
John Y Cannuck
Well, I ordered a Lyman four cavity, it's F'n expensive next to the Lee. I hope I don't have similar problems. I will look at the hinge pin next time I get a chance, I do my mould work at my cottage.
22 August 2002, 15:59
TCLouis
I use Lee, Saeco, Lyman, RCBS, and Lachmiller and on any given casting session am expecting trouble of some kind. Usually never happens though.
When I'm rolling along with my Lee 2 cavity 44 Mag mold (most accurate 44 bullet I cast)sometimes I have to give the blocks or handle a slight tap with my casting mallet ( fancy name for shaped 2X4) to get them to close correctly/cpmpletely . . . what the heck bullets hang in almost all of the others occasionally so I just kinda take it in stride and "run ball".
LouisB
Just an opinion of course! [Roll Eyes]
28 August 2002, 06:20
Paul H
quote:
Originally posted by John Y Cannuck:
I have used Lee, and Lyman single cavity moulds for many years, no troubles. Then I bought a double cavity Lee in 44 Mag. The mould blocks do not align, unless I turn the mould over, and tap them into place with my wooden sprue plate stick. It doesn't happen until I've made about 15 -20 bullets.
Has anyone else had any problems? Is this the norm for multiple cavity moulds?

That is the norm for Lee 2 cavity molds, but considering they can be had for ~$16 mail order, it is something I live with. The Lee 6 cavity does not have this ailment, and you can really crank out the bullets.

I've found ever mould makers product to have idiosyncracies, as I recall I've cast from Lee, Lyman, RCBS, NEI, Hoch, Applegate, Balisticast and LBT, maybe some others I don't recall.

If I can find a Lee mold that will make a bullet design I like, then it is often my first choice, as they are inexspensive, and once you learn how to use them, make great bullets. I even had a guy give me a lee 240 gr gc 44 mold, because he couldn't get it to make good bullets. I ended up turning one cavity into a 330 gr WFN, and left the other std, though turned both into plainbase designs. Both bullets shot very well, but I couldn't stand the slow production of single cavity, so gave the mold to another shooting buddy.

Off the top of my head I have 1/2 dozen Lee 2 cavities, a Lee six cavity, an LBT 2 cavity, a Balisticast 2 cavity, a Balisticast 4 cavity, and a Lyman one cavity, plus a few molds that I cast for my shooting buddy. I'd love to have all Balisticast as they are my favorite, but since I can buy 6 two cavity Lee's for the price of 1 two cavity Ballisticast, you can see why I have more Lee's!

I have future plans to get set up to modify Lee 6 cavity molds by re-cutting the cavities to custom shapes, as I think it will offer the most cost effective way to offer semi custom molds. I'm thinking along the lines of LBT shaped pistol bullets in 35, 41, 44, 45, 475 and 50 calibers, and perhaps some lighter rifle bullets.
29 August 2002, 09:49
andrew375
Make sure to keep the mould properly lubricated, as per the instructions.