The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: To gas-check or to not to gas-check ???

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/748104531

21 May 2004, 06:44
Dino32HR
Re: To gas-check or to not to gas-check ???
THANK YOU ALL. GAS CHECK IT IS !!
21 May 2004, 11:09
Paul H
While typical cast bullet theory is that gas checks aren't needed for lower velocities and pressures, the 300 whisper is an entirely different beast, due to it's very fast twist barrel. I would recomend using gas check bullets to hopefully alleviate shearing caused by the fast twist. You also might not be happy with the cast accuracy, and find problems with leading. I don't recall, but T/C might not use the ultra fast twist that SSK did, so you might not have the problems with cast.
22 May 2004, 10:39
KillaB
To answer Paul H's question, the T/C Custom Shop Whisper barrels have a 1 in 10" twist.
Dino, what barrel/twist rate do you have?
I have a Custom Shop Whisper that is 16.5" and haven't had a chance to develop any "slow" loads. I was looking at the Leadhead gas checks also. I would appreciate any help you could share about your load development.
01 June 2004, 06:56
Dino32HR
Killa -

Mine is a 1 in 10 also. I have a good load for a Sierra 190 gr. MK using 9.0 grains of Vit N110. The load is subsonic and very mild from a 10" barrel. Trouble is - those MK's are pricey; hence the search for a good cast bullet load.

I was going to start with (and move-up from) 8.0 grains of N110 with the 208 gr. Leadheads and see what kind of groups that will give me at 200 meters, which is the longest distance I need to be accurate (IHMSA Standing BB).

You can check-out www.stevespages.com for a wealth of load data.

Good luck to you ! I'll let you know what pans out. Feel free to email me with any loads you find to work too !