Find
Notify
Tools

ww-hardness
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted
started melting ww this weekend into ingots,some come out at 10bhn others at 11-12.5bhn,one hour after melting is this normal,or something not to worry about.thanks

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475/480:
started melting ww this weekend into ingots,some come out at 10bhn others at 11-12.5bhn,one hour after melting is this normal,or something not to worry about.thanks

I'll assume those ingots are all from the same batch of melt? Some might look frosted being poured much hotter [actually the ingot mold is hotter and the cooling rate is much slower] and will test harder.

I segregate each different meltdown in their own container. Usually the differences are minor-- but their different just the same.

[ 01-06-2003, 05:53: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wheel weight will age harden over time. I had one batch that measured BHN 8 harden to almost BHN 10 after a few months. Another batch that was BHN 12 are now BHN 15 in about the same time frame. I usually cast bullets in a marathon casting session and try to fill three ound coffee cans to the top with whatever bullet I'm casting. Then, they get used up over the following year or so, depending on what I'm shooting. I just check them for hardness every once in a while to see where they're at.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote