New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laddle vs bottom pour spout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using my lee bottom pour on several molds and they worked fine. A few molds would always have rounded grease groves. I tried using a laddle and casted some perfect bullets with these molds. Is this due to filling the mold faster?
I have been using the cat litter on top but with the laddle how do you deal with the build up on the top. I'm using pure lead as the bullets are for a muzzleloader so I have the temp rather high.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McD:
I have been using my lee bottom pour on several molds and they worked fine. A few molds would always have rounded grease groves. I tried using a laddle and casted some perfect bullets with these molds. Is this due to filling the mold faster?
I have been using the cat litter on top but with the laddle how do you deal with the build up on the top. I'm using pure lead as the bullets are for a muzzleloader so I have the temp rather high.

Never ladle casted with the melt covered, but I think it's doable. Go into the melt to load the ladle and as you bring it out flick the grit off the ladle?? Should be a routine to make it work..

The over pouring of the mold keeps the melt liquid longer-- better bullet. That and the actuall force of the alloy going into the mold is less-- more volume though.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drilled out the hole slightly in the bottom spout and can now cast a bullet from the bottom as good if not better than with the laddle with the difficult mold.

[ 10-20-2002, 00:13: Message edited by: McD ]

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
mcd, i drilled out the hole also, works much better.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is easier for a beginner to learn how to cast with? The bottom pour seems to be.

I am going to start casting as my next major purchase for reloading project. I will have to reread Veral Smith's book again. Trying to figure out what equipment to get before I throw money into the wind. Thanks

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you find your grease grooves are rounded, try turning up the heat on the pot. I've always found casting hotter to solve imperfect fillout.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
a little extra tin might help too,if it`s for something other than a pure lead bullet.I have always had better bullets with a dipper,and couldn`t stand my lee production pot 4 always dripping,got burnt a few times due to this,hot weather and long sleeves don`t mix well.I plugged the spout,took out the extra parts and now use my rcbs dipper with my temp controlled melter.I get good bullets after just a few (lee moulds)casts,the lyman`s take a little longer to heat up.have seen good bullets from both ways though.I don`t use anything after fluxing,just stir for each dipper I fill.good luck whatever way you go.