New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullets on Big Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I freely admit I don't know much about this topic, which is why I'm asking my question here: "How do heavy-for-caliber cast bullets perform on big game?".

I've used cast bullets for case forming and for light plinking loads only.

If it affects the answer at all, I'm specifically talking about 250 gr. .358" bullets at muzzle velocity of say 2400 fps.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work just fine, particularly in the caliber you are using. I'd suggest keeping the impact velocity on game at 2250 or under, and use water quenched wheel weight bullets. It sounds like you are probably shooting a .35 Whelen. This will do a moose easily, and any thing smaller you care to shoot.
Make sure to use a good flat pointed bullet. Check in on Shooters.com for info on the cast bullet page about a custom 260 gr. mold to be available mid February. Do a search, or follow the topics back a few days if you aren't registered in there.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ric,
Thanks for the input. Though I do have a Whelen Improved, for this purpose I'm actually talking about a .35-.284 in a Savage M99F.

Do you know what the bullet length will be for that 260 gr. FP? Due to the overall cartridge length limitation of 2.8" in this rifle, bullet length is a real issue.

I was wondering if cast lead bullets mushroom at all. Also, do they break up if hitting bone?
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I have an article in Handloader about the use of cast bullets on elk, from a 35 whelen. The bullet used was the Lyman 3589, which is a 280 gr, and he launched it @ 1950 fps as I recall.

I will be ordering a 260 gr mold once they are available, so let me know if you want to try some out.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a look at the bullet

http://www.gilanet.com/batorboolits/2-358BoolitOAL%26Seating.jpg

http://www.gilanet.com/batorboolits/C358-260-RF%20BATOR%2012-03-02.jpg

They will mushroom slightly, but the way a cast bullet makes a wound channel, this is not a big consideration. I would estimate a wound channel of around two inches with this bullet, maybe a bit more. That will do the job on anything without ruining a bunch of meat.

If you stick with the water quenched wheel weights, they will hold together very well, and show shearing, which is the preferable performance, rather than shattering.

I imagine your .358X.284 most likely duplicates the .35 Whelen, as case capacity is between the .308 and .30-06?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Midway now has these molds, I ordered one of the 260 gr six shooter, can't wait!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2200 fps is a lot more likely, given the current state of lubes. 2400 fps would have been well within reach when Bullet Master was available.

Either way, it ought to kill anything in North America.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A cast bullet out of a 45-70 some where around 2,000 FPS, 445 gr slug, does very well, I've only shot deer with it and the 45-70 slug starts out the diameter that most bullet hope to expand to after hitting the deer.
The other cast bullet rifle I have is a 375 Whelen throwing 250 grain to 300 grain slugs at over 2200 FPS, don't have a chronograph, will punch through a cross tie at 100 meters. My guess this combo would set most anything on the continent down.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote