THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coated cast bullets out of a rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I'm ordering a selection of powder coated cast bullets for my Browning Mod. 1895 in 375 Whelen and a Browning Mod 1895 in 30 06. My plans are to achieve good accuracy at the upper end of velocity. Accuracy is the determining factor. The bullets will be heavy for caliber. My question is will powder coating with stand the same pressures / velocities as gas checked had cast? Once I get these rifles shooting up to snuff I want to try powder coated 300 grain plus in my 405 Winchester , mod 95. Any experience you my have sure would help and thanks.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes.
but a gas check helps them too, it's that square base thing that plagues all bullets.

and.
as with regular cast bullets the diameter makes a difference.

bigger isn't always better in this case.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm wanting to try this powder coating as well. About six weeks back I picked up a Winchester/ miruko 1895 in 405 Winchester in like new condition at a farm consignment auction. couldn't pass it up at $450. It's even a limited series takedown model 65/1000. I ordered some Jamison brass and 300 grain gas checked bullets from Buffalo arms, which it shoots great, but I also ordered a bullet mold from NOE in 412-360-fn-gc and was thinking on trying PC after they were checked. The bore slugs out at .412.5. I've got two deer and two elk tags to concentrate on right now but after that I'll start casting and give it a try.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes62:
I'm wanting to try this powder coating as well. About six weeks back I picked up a Winchester/ miruko 1895 in 405 Winchester in like new condition at a farm consignment auction. couldn't pass it up at $450. It's even a limited series takedown model 65/1000. I ordered some Jamison brass and 300 grain gas checked bullets from Buffalo arms, which it shoots great, but I also ordered a bullet mold from NOE in 412-360-fn-gc and was thinking on trying PC after they were checked. The bore slugs out at .412.5. I've got two deer and two elk tags to concentrate on right now but after that I'll start casting and give it a try.

YOu are one lucky fella with the 405 find. A few years back I designed and got Mountain Molds to make a 350 grain mould for my 405, very accurate. Good luck with those four tags that you are duty bound to fill.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
yes.
but a gas check helps them too, it's that square base thing that plagues all bullets.

and.
as with regular cast bullets the diameter makes a difference.

bigger isn't always better in this case.

I may try my 413 dia. for the 405, 350 grain cast gas checked with powder coating after the New Year. For now I'll order in some powdewr coated 375 cast powder coated of varying diamers for testing Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Over the past year and a half, I have been doing extensive testing various rifles with powder coat. It seems that a GC and PC'd bullet can be driven at velocities of between 2,500 (250/3000) and 3,120fps (243)with no leading and excellent accuracy.

The little 7.62x39 is pushing full power loads to 2,180fps with powder coating.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Do you buy them PC or do them yourself?

Roger

Posts: 1029 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been casting bullets the traditional way since the early 70’s. The more I read about powder coating, the more intriguing it becomes. I normally try to fit the nose of my cast bullets to the chamber mouth or leade. My question is does PC’ing bullets add to the diameter that may cause the bullet to be lodged in the leade?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 928 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those are some handsome loads, Bad Ass. Thank you for not choosing pink! hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I sold all of my lube and size equipment. I now powder coat 100%. It's cheap, quick, adn easy to do.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gosh Bad Ass those cartidges look like Cape Buffalo dildos. Yes I know it's the perspective, those tings look huge.
Question is there any difference in the color of the powder coating? Is one better for what ever reason then another?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice double entendre, Bill, considering the caliber.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Question is there any difference in the color of the powder coating? Is one better for what ever reason then another?

I use blue, red or black. Black for night time shooting so the game can't see the bullet coming! bsflag

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass.. I like the black bullet idea. Do you suppose that dirt colored shot would help my dove score?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
While I like the natural look of lead, traditional too, I stopped coating with gray or clear as I could not tell if the coat was on the bullet 100%. So, I chose black as the color for my bullets.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A good friend gave me a couple hundred p0wqer coated round to try. Who ever made the bullets used bright red. The range officer walked by and asked if I was shooting lip stick down range.
I do like Missouri Bullets black powder coated and they are accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pete,
There is no good or bad color, but there can be a big difference in how one particular color powder may work versus another. There is a huge powder coat thread over on "Cast Boolits" forum. As Cal said it is an easy process after you do it a few times. The powder does add to the diameter of the bullet but I do all my sizing after the powder coat is applied. I use a Lee push through sizer with no lube and apply the gas check as I'm doing the sizing.

Posts: 746 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:

Pete,
There is no good or bad color, but there can be a big difference in how one particular color powder may work versus another. There is a huge powder coat thread over on "Cast Boolits" forum. As Cal said it is an easy process after you do it a few times. The powder does add to the diameter of the bullet but I do all my sizing after the powder coat is applied. I use a Lee push through sizer with no lube and apply the gas check as I'm doing the sizing.

Thanks for the info. Seems I'l be working up some cast bullets for powder coating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Been casting bullets the traditional way since the early 70’s. The more I read about powder coating, the more intriguing it becomes. I normally try to fit the nose of my cast bullets to the chamber mouth or leade. My question is does PC’ing bullets add to the diameter that may cause the bullet to be lodged in the leade?

I can't say about being stuck but when you pc you do ad to the diameter of the bullet
I always size and check after powder coating

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 223 Rem loads out of a Browning "A-Bolt" II have been chronographed to 2,710fps before accuracy drops off, but 1 1/2 groups are still going to put meat on the table.

Very interesting to note that when you put powder coated bullets back in the melting pot, they are the last bits of lead to melt. I'm sure in a cartridge that's the reason you can drive them to 2,500 to 2,750 with no leading!