New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 cast bullets
 Login/Join

<Winchrman>
posted
I have several 26 inch barrel rifles and would like to try cast bullets - so I bought some brass and a set of rcbs cowboy dies . Now I need bullets and see some very reasonable 240 gr round nosed flatpoint hot lubed cast bullets on ebay that are reasonable . They are from J&S cast bullets and are sized .380 - anyone have any experience with these , would these work ok in my old 94's ? I have never loaded or shot cast before and would welcome any input - thanks Lee

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
You might want to slug your old 94's first. The .380 size is for the newer marlins that came with .380 bores. Many if not most older rifles had bores between .375 and .378.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
My Winchester is made in 1903 ( yes anniversary this year) and I thought : what the hell , an old shot-out bore and loaded my bullets as cast (about 380dia. ) Well the action didn`t even close halfway .......so I sized the down to .379 .....still too big ! At .377 I have the perfect diameter , no leading , good precision and no distortion from sizing !While looking at the prices of commercial .375 bullets , my mould will be paid for within a year or so ! I use a 265gr. mould from Lyman, excellent design btw.!