Find
Notify
Tools

Alloy Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I have an alloy that's 95% lead, 2.5% tin, and 2.5% antimony.

I'm guessing that the Brinell hardness would be about 11. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I'm a little hesitant to guess at that one. Do you mind me asking what you intend to cast with it and what velocities you intend to shoot?
I might can help, but I'd like to know a little more before I lead up YOUR barrel.

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'll be casting up some 115gr .32-20 GC bullets and 240gr .430 roundnoses mostly.

The 44's will be traveling at about 1200 fps. The .32-20's will go as fast as I can get em without leading.

I just found an old Lyman reference that shows an alloy of 94.5%, 3%, 2.5% as having a hardness of 12. I think I should be ok.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<reverenddan>
posted
Quenching or not?

How about heat-treating the ones for the 32-20?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think I'll try the 115 grainers as is and see how fast I can go. I barely have time to cast these days let alone heat treat em. besides, I'm not too fond of the idea of baking lead in my oven. I also don't like water near my casting pot so they won't be quenched either.

If I can't drive em fast enough I'll just try a heavier mold. I intend to try and knock over some Rams with these hence the need for speed. Otherwise a 165 FNGC looks appealing.

Thanks though.

<powderfinger>
posted
Mike,

I found the same info in the Lyman book. Electrotype, (a metal used in printing) has 94.5% lead, 3% tin and 2.5% antimony. It is rated at 12 on the brinell scale. I was hesitant about water near the casting pot too, but it's not an issue with me anymore. I put a 5 gallon bucket behind me and just spin around and plunk them right from the mould onto a sponge thats floating on top of the water. If you hit the sponge the water doesn't splash and it helps retard the fall of the bullet.

Z