The Accurate Reloading Forums
New Mosin bullet

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/7021037042

08 April 2018, 20:46
res45
New Mosin bullet
Late last year I had Tom over at Accurate Molds modify and cut me a mold to fit the long throat of my 91/30. I wasn't interested in a long range target style bullet but wanted a heavy FN bullet that would put the smackdown on game at 100 yds. or less which is about as far as you can shoot around here for most hunting applications.

The gas check mold drops bullets at .315" and are sized to .314" and PC'ed or lubed in my RCBS Lube A Matic. I picked H-4895 as I can reduce it with no issues and work the load up to find best velocity/accuracy.

I finally got to shoot some test loads a few weeks ago and hit a good accuracy node at 34.0 grs. no chrono data available but I will be shooting this load over the chrono again in a couple weeks along with some 35 & 36 gr. loads using the same bullet.

Clear coated and ready to load.

08 April 2018, 22:05
carpetman1
Res--I have cast bullets over 50 years, but big game hunting with them is very limited. I hear all time that big game hunting with cast bullets starts at .40 cal. Big heavy bullet that plows through. I do know a 95 grain 6mm cast bullet, even at a high velocity does not do the trick. I also question the benefit of gas checks. I have shot many bullets without a gas check that were cast in gas check molds, and find no difference, thus I question their use. I'll be interested in hearing the report on how this bullet works for you.
08 April 2018, 23:23
Cold Trigger Finger
With that accuracy I think you would be very good to go ! That's impressive!
Look forward to your further testing . what bhn are these? How does your bore look after shooting ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."
09 April 2018, 00:32
res45
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
With that accuracy I think you would be very good to go ! That's impressive!
Look forward to your further testing . what bhn are these? How does your bore look after shooting ?

I use wheel weights with 2% tin and water quench right out of the toaster oven when the curing process for the powder coating is done. BHN is up around 18 to 20 in 24 hrs.

For hunting loads I just let the bullet air cool to get some deformation but with the large meplat and 1700 ft. lb. of energy with the current load I think it will do just fine.

As to the bore, the rifle has an excellent bore probably a Grade 2 on the 1 to 5 scale. I put about 25 rds. down range a few week ago and the bore was squeaky clean, just a bit of gun powder residue was all that was removed. Leading has never been an issues I had to solve as long as I fitted the bullet to the gun.
20 April 2021, 02:37
bobc
I wondered if you might have some of these cast (or would be willing to cast some more). I have a 303 british that uses a .313 so .314 cast would be perfect. thanks, Bob