Find
Notify
Tools

Re: homemade liquid alox?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought I remembered this..... so I added a post for lar45 to see. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting Dale. $1 a lb for a 5 gal container. How much does 5gal weigh?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sounds interesting Dale. $1 a lb for a 5 gal container. How much does 5gal weigh?

Around 42 lbs.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All! Before we get too excited, I want to be sure I understand the concept. ( Oh, where is meplat when you need him?) 5 gal of alox has to be mixed with 5 gal of beeswax? hmmm, 10 gal of bullet lube .... Does the beeswax have to be pure or made pure? ...or can one just use it as the bees leave it?And would the bees want some mixture to lube their little stingers up?-LOL Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Melted Johnson's Paste Wax works pretty well as a tumble lube. There's a thread on it in the cast bullets forum at: http://handloads.com/

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of a formula for homemade liquid alox? Thanks, Dale

The MSDS recommends diluting with mineral spirits.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there's a solvent that will cut Johnson's Paste Wax so melting it wouldn't be required?

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Melting it's mighty easy. The original poster of the idea put it in a jar of bullets sitting out in the sun. Once the solvent evaporates it doesn't melt easily, though. I do it with the bullets in a coffee can. Put in a spoonful of the wax out of the can and heat it for just a few seconds on low heat on a hotplate. It's easy to melt flat spots on the bullets if it's heated up too much! Surrounding the can with hot water in a sink would melt it just fine.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, amigo! I've been intending to buy some of that wax for a year now, since you mentioned it
back on the Shooter's threads, and keep forgetting. I'm gonna try it, though; got the string tied
on my finger now, so when I go to town next month, I won't forget.

Thanks again.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bees shoot very fast with that stuff!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just assuming that a five gallon bucket could be split into five one gallon containers and delivered for $25 each, I'd be in if anyone is interested enough to do it. Seems to me that paint stores have new gallon paint cans fairly reasonably. They might even have lightly used shipping boxes in the dumpster out back.

My impression is the Liquid Alox has been cut fairly heavily with mineral spirits and that the NRA formula is made by weight. You should be able to come in at $4 a pound for either, which beats $4 a stick considerably.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I went to Home Depot and got a new 1gal can with lid when I mixed up a batch of Ed's Red. They also have 1qt cans also.

So if Alox 2138F is a Calcium based grease, then is there much difference between it and any other Calcium based grease?

I'd be in for splitting a 5gal bucket if we can find out what the current replacement number is.

ALOX 606 � Hard film, high melt point, calcium soap, long-term outdoor protection

ALOX 606-55 � Solvent cutback of ALOX 606 calcium soap, long-term salt spray protection

ALOX 606-70 � Solvent cutback of ALOX 606 calcium soap, concentrate

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also would be interested in splitting a 5 gal bucket. I'd go 1 or 2 gallons.... or maybe just buy 5 gallons for me!Woo Hoo! Dale

But busting it apart and then shipping it bothers me.... too many laws.... Dale

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a distributor for Lubrizol? I've emailed a couple of times but no answer.
Does anyone know what the bulk price is?

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I got a reply from Lubrizol. They said that they are offering Alox 350 as a replacement for 2138F and that 606 has a melt point of 300F. I asked if the 606 was similar and for priceing and ordering info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys actually do this put me down for a gallon of the stuff, too.

Posts: 37 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the price turns out as stated I'm interested in a gallon.

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But busting it apart and then shipping it bothers me.... too many laws.... Dale

That's exactly what Lee does.

And the one good thing about too many laws is that nobody can keep track of all of them or enforce them.

Still, given the high shipping costs, any cluster of two or three of us within driving range would probably be better off splitting a bucket than shipping gallons.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I should be haveing a pint sample of 350 comeing in the mail. I don't know if they sell it in that size or not but it would be nice for experimenting with instead of a 5gal bucket. They are supposed to be sending price and ordering info also. I'll post it when it gets here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds very interesting. Please keep us informed on how it looks/works and maybe how we can order it too! Thanks, Dale