Find
Notify
Tools

From The Shop Scrap Box
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
What is it ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing a roundness hardness tester.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
brinell or rockwell , brinell since this is the reloading forum

Posts: 6348 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Brinell tester for lead.

Big enough to take ingots up to 2 inches thick. I have V blocks for the round things (bullets to most).

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
The dial indicator measures the depth of penetration of the hardened ball bearing. The ball is out of view in the small round chuck and is 5/32" diameter.

The black thing with pressure gauge is a hydraulic load cell. Tells me how much force is being exerted on the ball bearing penetrator.

The Brinell Hardness may be calculated using this information:

Diameter of ball

Depth of penetration

Load in pounds per square inch

I am building an Excell spreadsheet now to take care of the calculations.

First calculations show it is dead accurate.

Google Brinell Hardness and you can see the theory and the calculations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice scrap !.

Posts: 680 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn I love stuff like that. I don't cast bullets but if I had that I would take it up. I would mess around with different alloys to see what stuff like hardness related to penetration in gelatin etc. I only got to do a little bit of product development in my career but I sure loved it. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote