Find
Notify
Tools

Cast in the 270 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
With the high cost of jacketed bullets, I have always wanted to try for my 270 Savage. The mould is an old 'Ideal' 125gn with gas check.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad ass--I've shot cast in 30-06 which would be similar. In fact it was the first cast rifle bullets I shot. I had two loads. One was 4064 powder about 2400 fps and it felt about like a 30-30. The other loading was Unique powder about 1600 fps. Very little noise and almost no recoil. I thought a misfire. I'm told for hunting with cast you need at least 40 cal. I did learn a .243 with cast was not suited. I do question the use of gas checks. I find no difference shooting bullets designed for gas checks--with or without them. Cast in .22 cal are great for culling jackrabbits.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
It's taken years of trying but I finally shot this sub MOA 10shot group with the 30.06 through a 12X Leuopold scope. Velocity was a very tame 1742fps with a 210gn (Lyman 311284) and when cast of relatively soft 1:30 alloy, needs the gas check to protect the base. Soft lead is very good on wild hogs.

I hope to duplicate these results with the 270 for use on our local red deer.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad ass please report results on red deer. My guess is you'll be disappointed.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote