THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    L-F a load for a 30/30 lever gun and mold suggestions.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L-F a load for a 30/30 lever gun and mold suggestions.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a model 94 30/30 made in 1951. This gun is in excellant condition as it has been a one owner . I would like to cast some bullets for this gun so i am in need of suggestion's for a load and mold size. I have a few molds from lee for my .44 and they seem to work well. Also, any ideas on putting a peep sight on this rifle?

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the lee 170 grn flat nose. Any of the 170 grn FP seem to work real well in the .30-30.

For a peep sight, try the ashley outdoors (XS sights) peep. I never liked peeps until I tried this on my Marlin. The rear is about $60 by itself or about $90 for the kit which includes a new front post. These are much better on a hunting rifle than the lyman or williams in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
greg p,

I use the Lyman 311041 mold for my Model 94's. I have a couple pre-64's and a couple later models. They all shoot this bullet well. One of the 94's has a 'scope and it will shoot right at 1.0-1.25 for three-shoot groups at 100 yards most of the time. Don't know about peep sights. With my eyes, 'scopes are almost a must. Good-luck...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a very fine rifle and it should do well with cast bullets. Here is my response to you questions.

Moulds: I would get their a Lyman 311041 (170 gr.) or an RCBS 150 FN depending on which weight tickles your fancy. I would choose the heavier bullet.

Sights: I like the Ashley/XS sights for some purposes, but this is not one of them. They are just too hard to adjust. In new sights you can buy a Lyman 66 or a Williams Foolproof. These are both click adjustable for windage and evelation. I favor the Lyman. Both the Lyman and Williams have aluminium bases, which work just fine.

For a vintage rifle like yours I would shop ebay until you pick up a Lyman 66 or a Redfield 70 all steel sight. They won't cost you any more than a new alloy sight can probably can be had for less.

Lyman also makes a tang sight for your rifle. I don't like them, but if you do have at it.

Whichever way you go, you will have to have your rifle drilled and taped for the new rear sight.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The marbles tang sights are really nice.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS 180 fn shoots well from my 94. Also try lee 113 gr with 10 gr unique for a great plinker. If I only punched paper and ground squirrels this would be the mold. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta go along with everyone's suggestions. The Lee 150 is the most accurate in my gun with the Lyman 311041 a real tie almost. Only thing wrong with that Lee is that it's a single-cavity. The little 113 gr. Lee Plinker dual-cavity for $17.00 is a must have item. It's a real accurate little number & feeds perfect in my angle-eject 30-30. I put a scope on mine because of eyes but the Lyman #57 was killer on my old top-eject 94. I'll send some loads that work to ya but gotta go right now. E-mail Newtire@aol.com.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, ya screwed up, son, but I can fix it. Let me know yer address and I'll come by and pick up that piece fer what you give fer it - out of the goodness of my heart. It won't do anythang but bring heartache, son. Listen to me.

Son, yer not listenin'... Listen up, son. Damn. Well, 31141 and 27.0 3031. Make sure it's tucked back into yer shoulder good. Once yer bruised good and had enough let me know and I'll be by to pick'er up... sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with the Lee 150 in a Marlin.

Posts: 30 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,
If you are interested, Grumble has a deal on this forum for getting a 6 cavity lee 113 flatnosed Gascheck mould. I strongly recommned it for $44 shipped over the $17 single holer. Good string there, I have 311316 and it shoots great, but best shooter consistently out of my 30-30s and 308s has been 311041, it is brutally accurate with just about any load I wish that my 311291s shoot as good, but they don't.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that have replied. I am going shooting on sunday. Believe it or not i had to buy a couple boxes of ammo so i could get the brass, i guess no one in my area keeps there old brass. I will be looking for a good set of dies and mabey a little more brass also. I will pick up the 113 grain mold and a 170 mold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
I have the Lee 113gr mold. I need to cast up a bunch more this weekend and then I can send it to you along with some gaschecks and the lee sizer. I should be able to get them out to you on Monday if you want. I may have some brass at my parents house or some factory loads. I'll e-mail my dad and check.
By the way, can you babysit my dog at Christmas time. By the way, I can't believe you ended up with a rattletrap 30-30. Where have your standards gone? next thing I know you'll end up with a 270.
Ken

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken, Thank's for the offer. Anytime you can send it is good with me. I will talk to michelle about the retard, i don't think it will be a big deal but i will be off shore for christmas week so it will be her deal for a bit anyway. I will e-mail you with the details of the deal. As you know it's not just the done deal that makes it fun, it's the journey. By the way A .270 is a fine gun, when i'm trying to sell one. [Big Grin]

[ 10-25-2003, 00:26: Message edited by: greg p ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
I'll get that mold off to you. Why don't you find another 30cal mold too and we will try it out. That way we can try twice as much stuff out before we need to buy what works. Maybe something good for the 06 since you finally saw the light and got one of those too. If you can this winter you should get together with Birdboy and try the 113 lee on Coyotes. If you call them in close it should be great fun.
Ken
Oh yeah, my dog is not a retard, she is just intellectually challenged. I can't help it if she is the only lab in the world that won't swim

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing argue with herein--the 30-30 is a fine cast bullet caliber. I haven't tried the Lee 113 soup cans in mine yet, but it shoots Lyman #311291's very well. I've meant to get a 311041 but haven't done so to date.

I use Lyman peeps on several of my rifles, and they do better work than the open irons as I get longer in the tooth.

My 30-03 is a Win 94.....post-64/pre-angle eject, with some brass furniture indicating some sort of commemorative event that isn't engraved on it (thankfully). Not as much class as the flatband 25-35, but it shoots right well fer a rattletrap rising sun lever gun, even with FLGC things.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just acquired a 1975 Model 94 that had a mere handful of factory rounds thru it.
Dug up some hollowpoint 31133`s that I had cast back in 2000. I used 14grs. 4227 with an OAL of 2.460. Even with the factory sights, I managed to group them into a nice small cluster at 50yds. I never dreamed that I`d ever use that little bullet till the 94 showed up..
Certainly need to replace the buckhorn rear with a receiver sight!
Next up will be 311410, intended for the 30 Carbine, but it`ll do for recreation at short range. I`ll try the 311466 also, but wonder whether to fill two lube grooves, or three??

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
STP. What a timely post. I found seven long discontinued Lyman molds at a local gun shop a while back and that #31133 was one of them. I ran up a batch and was wondering what to use with them. I also found a #311316 as well I've shot that one from my .30 Carbine ruger Blackhawk, but never gave the 30-30 a thought. Hmmmm. Pleasantries await.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul B,
I hope the 31133 works as well for you as it did for me. I used WW alloy, based on my note in the box from 12-24-00 cast date.
I was a little worried about the OAL, as it does not contact the throat in my 94, but wanted plenty of the bullet in the neck for guidance...
I`ll have to spend some time at the pot, I fired all that I had cast back then.
I`m planning to try the Carbine bullet this weekend with Unique and W680, and will post my range results afterwards.
Here`s hoping... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got to get around to loading some but I've got to get some loads tested for a New Mexico deer hunt that starts in about two weeks and then a cow elk hunt a week after the deer hunt.
One of the molds that really floated my boat (kinda off thread) was a Lyman #3589. I've been looking for that one for some time. Actually, I got that #31133 for use in my .30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk. The Lyman #311316 will do about an inch at 25 yards and a 120 gr. SAECO bevel based RN that has never shot worth a damn in any rifle I've tried it in will shoot slightly tighter. I'd been looking for an Old Model Ruger in .30 carbine for many years and found one almost mint including the box and instructions at a reasonable price, so I snapped it up. I never cared for them with the full power loads. Just try to ectract the casinfs. But I always felt that downloaded with a neat flat point or hollow point bullet, they would make a more than excellent small game guine, if the accuracy was there. Seems like in my gun anyway, the accuracy is there. Cottontail rabbits, beware. [Big Grin]
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the hunt...
Let us know how the 31133 works when you get a chance. I also have managed to pick up some older moulds and have yet to try out because I thought leading would be an issue to work out. Namely, a U225450-HP that has yet to be utilized.