New
Find
Notify
Tools

now lyman really sucks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
snapped off the handle on my lube sizer sizing some 500 grain 4570 bullets and I know there going to charge me to fix it again! Never again with the lyman junk!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
where has all the love gone [Wink]

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't force it. Hit it with the big hammer.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad luck, Lloyd. You must have gotten a bad cast or something when Lyman made the thing. I have an old Lyman lube sizer that I cannot imagine the bullets it has lubed and it still works like new one.

I see you are from MI. It makes me wonder if you are working in a very cold room where your lubricant has chilled to the consistency of concrete? This would dramatically increase the pressures required to operate the sizer. (I'm just guessing here.) [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yup Mi but I had the lube heater going and the lube was flowing perfectly Those long bullets hang up once in a while and need a little shove to get them started out I wasnt even giving it much snuff and it snapped off. Second time its happeded. The star should be here this week and then the lymans wont be used much anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Bad luck, Lloyd. You must have gotten a bad cast or something when Lyman made the thing. I have an old Lyman lube sizer that I cannot imagine the bullets it has lubed and it still works like new one.

I see you are from MI. It makes me wonder if you are working in a very cold room where your lubricant has chilled to the consistency of concrete? This would dramatically increase the pressures required to operate the sizer. (I'm just guessing here.) [Confused]

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can't invision how you could break a handle sizing bullets. If you are applying that kind of force to run the bullet through the sizer, I can only imagine how the soft lead bullet is being distorted as well. Bullet quality has to suffer greatly, especially if you are looking for match grade long range bullets. How much are you sizing your bullets down?

Posts: 5 | Location: N.E.  | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Especially since it's the second time he broke one..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING... TILL NOW.. CAN'T IMAGINE HOW YOU'D BREAK A LUBRISIZER..........

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL..........

<bigbelly>
posted
Call them before judging them,I`ve broken a few things in my past,and both Lyman & RCBS have always replaced them.hell even a powder measure that cracked from being rusted solid from years of neglect,when rust let loose the frame broke,it was over 20 years old and one call they sent a new housing and a pistol size drum for free,never had to return the old parts either.try that with some Lee crap and see what they tell you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
if youve ever sized really long bullets in a lyman with a gas check youll find that they hang up on the return stroke and sometimes you really have to give it a shove to get them back up. These were 500 grain .4570 gas check bullets cast out of lynotype and I have a buddy who has probably casted more bullets then I have seen and he has cracked two of them too so beleive me it will happen If anyone doubts my bullet casting ability Im sure theres a few here that have used my bullets that will back me up. My sizers may get used a little more then average as I usually spend at least 10 hours a week casting. I know one thing though I finally got the star up and running last night and those lymans will be collecting dust for the most part now. I can size in half the time with less efford with that thing. I sized down a .458 gas check bullet to .452 just to try it and didnt even have the thing bolted to the bench and it took care of it easily!