THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Difference between gas checked and Plain base bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between gas checked and Plain base bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm new to the cast bullet game, I'm a proud owner (soon anyway, the barrel is in the mail) of .454 Casull 12" Encore barrel that is destined for the whitetails of Iowa. I have arranged a trade for some lynotype I have for a variety of cast bullets by a member here and he said some will be plain base and some will be gas checked. The bullets will range from 250 gr. to 360 gr. I intend to use them for plinking, mid-range loads, and full-power loads after I have acclamated myself to the recoil. My question is, do gas-checked bullets have an advantage in the .454 or should I just shoot the bullets and see if the gas-checked or plain base shoots more accurately? Let me know, if this is stupid question, I apologize.
Yardbird
PS Lloyd, I have a different name over at GB, you know it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plain base bullets will do you fine for plinking and midrange. I have used them successfully for as hairy loads as you can get in a .45 Colt Blackhawk.

Past that I can't say. I would suspect that you would want GC bullets for max loads in the .454.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote