New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 gr .45 ACP & Bullseye
 Login/Join

<zanthope>
posted
Anybody have recipe for .45 ACP 200 grain LRN's and Bullseye powder?

I'm shooting these out og a Glock 30. I usually use 230 gr but the dealer's out of stock.

A lot of shootin' going on, methinks.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Many years ago while competing in bullseye an old guy laid this on me and it truely seems to work. Take any 200 grain lead bullet for the 45 acp and put 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 behind it, and you'll have a load that's more accurate then most shooters.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
This has been mentioned so many times; but, here it is again.

DO NOT SHOOT PLAIN LEAD OUT OF A FACTORY GLOCK BARREL.

The polygonal rifling actually makes leading worse. You WILL have a kaboom sooner or later using lead bullets.

If you must shoot plain lead, get an aftermarket barrel. But don't shoot unjacketed bullets out of a factory Glock. This includes the hardcast ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure about this, Powder? I know guys who have shot 1,000s & 1,000s of cast bullets in glocks without a problem. I don't understand what the type of rifling has to do with leading. Rifling is either smooth or it isn't.

Can someone educate me about this? [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
From what I have heard, lead bullets do not fully obturate the polygonal rifling. This allows gases to escape around the base of the bullet, melting the lead and depositing it in the barrel. Eventually the deposits will accumulate to the point they present an obstruction in the barrel and greatly increase pressures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Stan. That sheds some light on the question...but if that were the case, perhaps it could be cured by shooting an oversized bullet?
One where obduration is not the issue as the bullet is actually being swagged DOWN slightly to proper bore fit. Wouldn't this this work?

Still curious. [Confused]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thing just occurred to me. IF the Glock barrel is leading, this will be visible. It shouldn't be a problem that sneaks up on anyone who carefully cleans his gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 4-5 thousand cast lead bullets through my G21 without a hitch. All I do at the end of the range session is to run a magazine of jacketed bullets through the gun and any leading that has occured is wiped out. My factory barrel looks as good as the day I bought it. I used to carry this sidearm on a daily basis while working for the local sherrif and it has never failed to function!

Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk, I have suggest on many posts that a few jacketed bullets after some cast will clean a bore of leading about as good as anything. But I've gotten some strange looks from people for suggesting it.

They fail to grasp that I suggest it because I've been doing it successfully for many years.
Glad you have a supporting experience.

Us jacketed bullet swabbers have to stick together. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos,

I know many people that use this method for swabing a barrel. It's fast, works great and also gives me the excuse to shoot another magazine full!!
I just couldn't imagine not shooting all of those pretty little lead inguts in my garage!
Elk country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one who tries it ever goes back to the old scrub the bore with wire brush method, I can tell you that.

And it works just as good in rifles.
[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pecos-- weasels may get sucked into jet engines, but ground squirrels get chipped at the airport.

Pertinax

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/squirrel000626.html

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The IPSC community experienced a series of Glock 45 auto failures some years ago. All were fatal for the firearms involved. Some resulted in injured shooters.

The cause was, at the time. said to be the lack of bore obturation with resulting lead buildup ... eventually leading to a violent pressure spike.

Most folks handled the problem by going back to jacketed ammo or all the way back to 1911-based firearms.

Glock as a company was VERY quiet about all of this ... I understand why they may have had to do that, but it lessened my faith in the right thing being done ... so I never bought a Glock.

In other words, this problem MAY be a real one. Use you own good judgement.

I've seen the results of a Glock coming apart, and from what we think was a double charged 45 ACP on a 1911 (not mine thankfully). I'd much rather be using a 1911 and loading smartly.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
From my experience most of the commercial cast bullets are too hard. The pressures in a 45acp are relatively low and don't require a hard alloy. A bullet sized .452, I use .4525, with good lube made from air cooled wheel weights will do fine. Speer and Hornady both make swaged lead bullets sized .452, that dead soft and work fine through most any 45acp firearm.
If you run into leading with either cast or swaged lead clean the copper out of the barrel then try the lead again.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote