New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about hollow-point cast bullets,,,
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see moulds for these for sale from time to time, usually in 38/357 calibers, but occasionally in other calibers. For some reason, they usually go for less money that hollow-base bullet moulds go for (which doesn't have anything to do with my question, but I thought it was interesting -- and something I can not explain).

Anyway, I am thinking the following about hollow-point bullet mould.

If I am using it in a soft-lead load (38-40, 44-40, 45LC, etc, in original-type loads) there is really no need for hollow-points. From my experience with 40:1 lead/tin bullets, they expand perfectly without a hollow-point.

If I am using it in a hard-lead load (.357 Magnum, primarily, with a Bhn of about 18-20), the hollow-point would probably not expand anyway. I have an old "hollow-pointer" that goes over a loaded cartridge and you hand-drill a hollow in the bullet. I tried it many years ago with some of these hard bullets and the recovered ones did not expand. They would sometimes "smear" to one side or the other easier, but there was not any "classic" expansion.

Am I missing something? What is the purpose of a hollow-point mould?

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
In my opinion,for hunting with cast bullets,a large meplat(big flat nose)gives the best performance. A hollow point will not add anything more.
I hunt with a hollow point Lyman #457193 bullet because it is the same weight as the Lyman #457124 bullet,which I practice with. They both weigh 395 gr,but the hollow pointed ones look more lethal.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I use HP moulds is they are usually more accurate in rifle calibers. I can also use a little harder bullet and shoot it faster also. Cavity size has a lot to do with expansion. Hair/hide can plug a HP and it won't expand. That's one reason I think Lyman went to the devastators. Bigger HP that will open easier. Mark

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote