New
Find
Notify
Tools

.511 cast bullets in rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 500 Jeffery I would like to shoot cast bullets in. One of my suppliers has .511 diameter gas checked and lubricated bullets for sale at very reasonable prices and in a useful weight for this rifle. Can this work out in my rifle without excessive leading especially in a quicker twist barrel than the hand gun barrel these bullets were intended for? Is anyone making a bullet mould for a 540gr. .512 flat nosed bullet for a rifle that I could buy???

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some 525gr Cast Performance from my 500AHR this past spring. I was using AA 5744 powder as I didn't care to use fillers.

They worked ok for parctice loads, no leading, or build-up that I could see.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used cast bullets my 50-70 and a Barrett 50 BMG. I've also used them in several civil war era, original or replica, breech loaders. Worked just fine. In everything but the 50 BMG I used a variety of alloys without problems. For the 50 BMG I used linotype. No leading.

You'd have to try it and see, of course, but I wouldn't expect problems.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slug the bore. If the bullets are smaller than the actual bore, you will get leading and poor accuracy.

Mountain Molds is in the process of moving, but is supposed to be back in business by August. He'll make a mould to your specs for a very reasonable price.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a 500 gn mold for my 470NE that was made at www.mountainmolds.com mine is a 2 cavity and both the cavities are different. They both have the same base, but the noses are different, one is a 70% LBTish style and the other has a 90% nose. The 70% nose bullets shoot well at 2150, and shoot to the same place as Barnes 500 XLCs. The bullets are water dropped wheel weights. I haven't shot enough of the 90% bullets to say anything about them. I should have had 2 molds made instead of the different cavities. I think he doesn't do different cavities anymore.
Anyway, they are both gas checked and drop at .476" I have mostly shot 50-50 lube and haven't had any leading problems at all.
I want to shoot the Lee 400's and see how fast they will go with the plain base and my Carnauba Red lube.
I would keep my eye out on the mountain molds site to see when he is back up and running and order a mold there. They are an excellent mold and well worth the price. I have some brass molds and a couple aluminum ones. They are large beefy blocks. The Aluminum molds are much easier for long casting sessions.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the website reads a bit stuffy, and well...limited. No custom work, no HP, no hollowbase, I always figured, if it was my yankee $$$'s I should get to design the bullet. I am at work designing a 620 or so grain bullet for my 510Kayser Express. Waiting on Hornady to get me some gaschecks so I can set shank diameter.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the website reads a bit stuffy, and well...limited. No custom work, no HP, no hollowbase, I always figured, if it was my yankee $$$'s I should get to design the bullet.

That's what custom mold makers do, and even some custom makers will not fool around with hollow points or hollow bases. Mountain Molds is not a custom mold maker.

Any mold maker should know the appropriate shank diameter for a gas check.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definition of custom bullet: one you designed and make or are having made...to your specifications.

"...you design your bullet using our online design program..."

That's the big print. The small print is where it says NO this, No that, NONE of that either
Silly me, I guess I need new glasses.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popenman;
the other fine print part is that he has not been taking orders for moulds for six months no according to his post.
Anybody got any suggestions for a current production company.

Rich

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The issue with the 500 Jeffrey is the very short neck, which will place the gas check shank into the body of the case. You'll get a mixed feedback on whether or not that will hurt accuracy, but it has been my experience that the gas check should be kept in the neck of the case for best accuracy.

My 500 Jeffrey has a 1-15" twist barrel, and have had no problems with leading on up to 2200 fps. I have however had mediocre accuracy with the longer bullets do the gas check position. So, I mostly use my 470 gr pistol bullet which is short enough to keep the gc in the neck of the case.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Jim Wisner is doing some big bore cast bullets these days for sale.

Cehck with him.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
what bullet weight are you looking for? And, do you cast your own or have a friend that does? I am reworking 650gr RFN plainbase bullets for the 505 Gibbs load work. When I get one that works in the Gibbs, it will also be fine in my 510KX, and I will get a mould made. I have been turning the shanks down to press fit a Hornady gascheck on a lathe and sizing/lubing. Then shove them thru a push-thru sizer down to .5055. I am at 2089fps avg for twelve shots now, and not seen any leading or need to clean the barrel except to dry patch it after every session. In two or three weeks I will have the mould cut to those specs.

Rich

Rich

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.customcastbullets.com makes a great 535 FP and an even better 600gr SP, both gaschecked.

I run them in my 500 jeffe, with rifle loads, and it always goes bang...

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
went to the site you show. He may make those bullets, but he ain't showing them in his data.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

could you post a picture and oal specs on those two bullets? And call me at the house tonight if you get a chance.

thanks,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,

How about some 725 grain WFNGC hard cast bullets? I use them in my 50 AK. PM if interested.

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Marshall Stanton at Beartooth Bullets. There's a good selection of .511 and .512 GC bullets.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee 500gn .515 mold that drops 525gns with wheel weights. I have cast some for guys with 500 NE and sized to .512". They say they shoot pretty good.
http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/
Ranger Rick has some big 50 cal bullets.
.512 DIA
975 GRAIN FNGC
735 GRAIN ROUND NOSE PLAIN BASE
655 GRAIN SEMI FLAT NOSE PLAIN BASE
545 GRAIN FLAT NOSE PLAIN BASE

The Bull Shop has a large varieity and can size to a wide varieity. you might check with him also.
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote