New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barreling a Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently got a very good deal on a FN Mauser 98 action. I would like to put a barrel on it in a caliber specificlly for cast bullet shooting. Since I have the best minds in the world at my disposal, here on the cast bullet board. The question is, which manufacturer of barrels should I use and what cartridge would lend itself to cast bullet velocities with 80% to full case loads. Also what are your recommendations on keeping this in a budget that I can get past my wife without a divorce.

I'm waiting for your replies.
Thanks in advance. [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
308 win in a good barrel,if not perfect try fire lapping with good old jb bore paste,my fn went from 3-4.5" down to .75-1" after 50 rds of lee liquid alox and jb mixed 50-50,coat bullets and use a light load,I used 7gr red dot.and try the lee bullets made for the 7.62x39 they seem to shoot well in all 3 of my 30`s,good luck.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I had a Mark X action rebarreled to 375 Whelen for shooting nothing but cast bullets. I told my gunsmith what my intentions were to shoot cast bullets and he chose a wonderfully smooth medium weight Douglas.
I'm getting jacketed bullet velocities with very good accuracy.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, Am I right, the rifle is barreled to 308 Win now. As a inexpensive way to go, E.R. Shaw has some good deals right now. As far as caliber, depends on what you want to do. If deer here in Missouri are on the adjenda, I'd go with a .358 Win. Not every kid on the block has one and it should knock em flat. Should feed great right from the start in a previously 308.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action was originally a Colombian model 1950 FN-Mauser action in 30-06. A friend of mine started a project to make a custom rifle out of it he got as far as taking the barrel off and then was interupted by a divorce. I want to make a "cast bullt only shooter" out of it. I want to use a case small enough to be able to load it with enough powder so I won't have to use dacron or filler, and also of a large enough bore that I can easily cast bullets. I hope this explains it in a little more detail.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'd say try a 6.5mm maybe the 6.5x55. A friend shoots a 6.5-.30-30 out of a Ruger #1 with exclusively cast loads and he has no problem toppling the Rams. About 13 grains of unique would make a fine load.

I'm doing the same project but wth a heavy .308 win barrel. I wanted an cast bullet rifle and already had a heavy .308 barrel or I would have gone to 6.5mm.

-M

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think a 358 winchester would be perfect. You have a huge selection of bullets, and the case capacity should be ideal.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked with the barrel maker I'm going to use and they can do the .358 Win. chambering and fitting for me. Now I will be getting the other things like a stock and adjustable trigger. Thanks fo the help. I'll let you know how it shoots, it will be about 6 or 8 months before I'm at that point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greetings,
If you are gonna hunt with it, I concur with the 358 winchester, use it very well in BLR rifle, great caliber for cast bullets, longer action of M98 will allow bullets to be seated out longer than my gun, that will help with bullets over 250 grains.

If you aren't gonna hunt, I think the 308X1.5 is an outstanding cast bullet choice, no problems with fillers, I think it's ideal, kind of like a 30-30 for rimless actions.

My opinion only,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm putting together a .358 Win at the time myself. I believe you will be happy with it.

On the other hand, if you wanted to stick with the .30-06, you could shoot the milsurp powders at near full case capacity and have pretty good luck.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I'm working on some IMR 5010 loads in some of my other rifles. That is if the weather ever cooperates again. Too cold and windy to shoot, too cold to cast outdoors. and I've loaded about all my bullets I cast prior to the bad weather. I'm getting cabin fever!!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You might consider the 458 American ( 458x2")
an excellent round for cast bullet shooters.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
Ed I built a Mauser just to shoot paper at 100 yards. I used the 7 mm Br at the time it was the top handgun cast bullet cartridge. Have not switched to cast bullets yet so I cannot tell you ow it shoots.