New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help getting started!
 Login/Join

<Ohaygen>
posted
hi everyone, I am thinking of casting for my h&r 30/30.I would be loading low velocity rounds with some sort of shot shell powder around 1,100 to 1,400 fps.I have read a lot of different stuff on bullet casting, and it is a little confusing.It's always that way when your a greenhorn!! I am thinking of getting the Lee C309-113-F bullet mold. Will I have to size this bullet,and if so what sizing die should be used, the .308- .309 - or .310 ?? I understand they should fit the max groove dia.of a given rifle for best accuracy? Does a gas check bullet always need a gas check? If a bullet is not sized and a gas check is preferred, how should they be applied, by hand? what type of GC would work for this bullet, the Hornady crimp on, can these be applied by hand? Or would a Lyman type be better.

Thanks, Dan

"there is only one way and thats through Him"

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need a gas check bullet for what you are talking about doing. I have never had success using gas check designs without the gas check. Using a gas check adds two cents to the cost of the bullet and several steps to the process.

If a cartridge loaded with the bullet as cast, chambers readily, you don't need to size, either. If you do need to size, the Lee die that goes in your loading press and which costs about $15 is as good as any. It will also seat your gaschecks if you are using them. I much prefer the Hornady GCs.

I shoot a 130 grain PB bullet designed for the .30 Carbine, cast from a Lyman mould and using wheelweight metal with just enough tin added to get good fillout. Accuracy generally runs 2.5 to 3 inches at a 100 yards. A blunter bullet would likely do better and I have an eye open for such a mould in the 150-160 grain range.

The great merit of the bullet and load is that it is cheap. Pound of powder gives 500 to 1000 rounds. Pound of wheelweights gives over 40 bullets.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Dan
From everything I've read the 30-30 is just about the closest thing to perfection for shooting cast bullets.
I would suggest getting a heavier (longer) bullet to start with, maybe 150 to 190 grain. The reason being is it will be easier to align the bullet into the lead of the chamber when chambering a loaded round. The longer bullets are more forgiving in the loading part of the process.
Your as cast bullet diameter will be the result of the alloy you are using, the temperture you are casting at, the mold itself.
You won't know the diameter, required, of the bullet until you run a lead slug down the barrel to learn the size of the barrel.
You can start out with the .310, .311, if you are starting low and slowly working your way up, using one or the other pistol powders.
It would make life easier for you if you can get a copy of Lyman's bullet casting handbook. The people have compiled a hundred years of experience into one easy to read book.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try that 113 gr fp with 10 gr unique for a mild shooting load that groups good in my 30-30's and should replace any 22 rimfire. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
Send me an e-mail and I`ll give you my adress,then if you want to try some that I and others have had very good success with,I can send you some for the cost of a padded envelope and maybe a dollar or two shipping.I don`t sell anything,just thought a couple different bullets and loads might be of help,they are 3 Lee designs,the 2 designed for the sks and a 180-185gr for 303 british,all will work seeing as you are using the NEF single shot.I can also send you my load data in that vel range.A couple of old timers had me try these same bullet\load combo`s just as I was going to give up on cast bullets all together.my e-mail is bigbelly@i2k.com
as I said before,I am NOT trying to sell anything,so no follow up junk if you do reply.