New
Find
Notify
Tools

M96 accuracy???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m 64 years old and wear trifocals andshoot cast bullets and have a 96 Mauser in 6.5X55. With the original sights I shoot 4”-6” 10 shot groups at 100 yards, with a cluster and fliers, many called.
I bought a M55?? Sight adjustable from 100-700 meters? and put it on the gun. I glued a washer to the front of the rear sight, a la MOJO, and glued the orange insert from a set of lyman inserts to the rear of the front sight. I can shoot maybe 3” 10 shot groups average at 100 yards with that setup. I shot 25 shots at 100 yards last week into 5 5/8”.
I read guys saying they shoot MOA-which I think is 1” center to center at 100 yards-with swedish mausers and the original sights. One guy did it offhand.
I can’t shoot 1” groups routinely(4 out of 5 groups) with any iron sights, and just barely do it with bolt guns or my bench gun-a martini with 30/30 barrel and great gunsmithing.
I believe I can shoot 1 �-2” groups with this gun and a micrometer sight.
I have 2 questions.
1. Can you young guys shoot 2” or better 10 shot groups 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards with the original sights on a M96?
2. My gun is original and matching. I’ve had 03 Springfields with Lyman sights and scope blocks installed, and nobody thought they did anything bad making these modifications. If I put a Lyman sight on the rifle, cutting the stock as required, have I done a really bad thing?
Thanks;
Joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"1. Can you young guys shoot 2” or better 10 shot groups 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards with the original sights on a M96?"

Most cast shooters would be doing quite well to make that accuracy requirement shooting modern guns with scopes.

"2. My gun is original and matching. I’ve had 03 Springfields with Lyman sights and scope blocks installed, and nobody thought they did anything bad making these modifications. If I put a Lyman sight on the rifle, cutting the stock as required, have I done a really bad thing?

Joe I'd suggest the proof is in the shooten, and your three inches at 100 sounds good to me. You said other Swedish Mauser shooters quote moa groups... but my Q is: did you see this? Doing it once and calling it a moa gun and doing it continuously are quite different things. The average shooter plugs a good group and announces to the world he's such and such a shooter. Funny how we don't hear much about the 'other' groups. My thinking is this: if your enjoying your shooting, you cares what anyone else thinks?

It's a rare duck who can maintain concentration to pour them all in for ten shoots.... not even to mention atmosherphic conditions.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote