Find
Notify
Tools

6.5MM bullet suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I'm looking for a 6.5 M/S cast bullet. 160 to 170 gr Round nose. Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best bullet for that 6.5 M/S is the 6.5 Kurtz that was designed by 45 2.1. It was a group buy on Castboolits long time ago. I think NOE Moulds makes a copy of it. Other they that the only other one that will use up that long throat is the 6.5 Cruise Missile, also designed by 45 2.1 and it too was a group buy. LEE still makes it and Midsouth Shooters Supply sales it, BUT the one they sell drops the bullet super fat. That may be okay if your chamber, throat, and groove are fat enough to accept it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
RCBS used to carry a 160G. sillouete bullet mould but as their new policy is not to sell to the public (dies at least),that is a moot point.I shoot the 1903 M/S in 6.5x54 + love the rifle + cart. When Hornady was discontinuing the 160 G. RN I bought all I could find so I'm good for the duration I think.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mid South Shooters Supply sells RCBS molds and used to list a 140 grainer that was the same general shape as the other silhouette bullets listed. Long nose with small area of driving bands.
I have one of the 140 grain 6.5 molds that has been used very little (probably less than 100 projies cast and if you or anyone would want to buy it, I will go find it an check on it's condition. All my molds are stored in ammo cans so it should be like new.

I will say one thing about this projie . . . cast out of pretty dang hard alloy it has shared the record on my personal range for penetration through wet newsprint. 45-70 is the other and it was fired in the same shooting session

After I logged out I turned the page on the MSS catalog and Lyman lists 2 different RN 6.5 GC designs, 140 and 150 grain.

Thinking back when the group buy was on, doesn't the MS require an oversized 6.5 projectile?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Mid South Shooters Supply sells RCBS molds and used to list a 140 grainer that was the same general shape as the other silhouette bullets listed. Long nose with small area of driving bands.
I have one of the 140 grain 6.5 molds that has been used very little (probably less than 100 projies cast and if you or anyone would want to buy it, I will go find it an check on it's condition. All my molds are stored in ammo cans so it should be like new.

I will say one thing about this projie . . . cast out of pretty dang hard alloy it has shared the record on my personal range for penetration through wet newsprint. 45-70 is the other and it was fired in the same shooting session

After I logged out I turned the page on the MSS catalog and Lyman lists 2 different RN 6.5 GC designs, 140 and 150 grain.

Thinking back when the group buy was on, doesn't the MS require an oversized 6.5 projectile?

The 6.5 Kurtz is oversized. With 50/50 alloy it drops from the mold, and ages to, .269. Means it would be a little fatter out of wheel weights.

Vince

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Since I have such good luck with the jacketed Hornady 160G.'s I have not considered casting in this 6.5 cal.If memory serves,RCBS does a sillouette in an 160G.Bear in mind that I am loading for a M/S 1903 that was regulated for a 160 G. RN. There are a plethora of 6.5 bullets available,one has to work up a load.
i will say that if RCBS (under government direction) are not allowed to sell reloading dies to the public then what can we hope for in the way of moulds?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets of the bore rider design, that is, with a long nose that is suppose to ride on top of the lands are poor choices in many old military rifles because more then often the nose is undersized. That is terrible for any kind of accuracy. With those types of rifles the Loverin style does much better. The only other option is to have a bullet designed for your particular rifle and a custom mould made. With the 6.5MS the 6.5 CruiseMissile, being of the Loverin type design, would fit that rifle, but it's a very difficult bullet for some to get any accuracy with.

VZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Since I have such good luck with the jacketed Hornady 160G.'s I have not considered casting in this 6.5 cal.If memory serves,RCBS does a sillouette in an 160G.Bear in mind that I am loading for a M/S 1903 that was regulated for a 160 G. RN. There are a plethora of 6.5 bullets available,one has to work up a load.
i will say that if RCBS (under government direction) are not allowed to sell reloading dies to the public then what can we hope for in the way of moulds?

Norman look at this link:

https://forums.gunboards.com/s...Pull-Down-Cartridges

Pay attention to item #10. I've bought from this gentleman, he's over 100 years old lives in SC. He's slow but you get your stuff.

VZ