THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    .44 Rem. Mag., 220 gr. cast, with Green Dot or Herco

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Rem. Mag., 220 gr. cast, with Green Dot or Herco
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted
The widow of a friend of a friend gave me some of her late husband's reloading stuff. A couple thousand cast bullets, 220 grain, .430 diameter. A 4-lb. can of Green Dot, and a 4-lb. can of Herco.

Can't find much data.

Does anyone have a recipe that will get around 1150-1200 fps from my 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the 240 gr data it is easy to get the velocity you want.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Green Dot but for the Herco there should be some 44 Mag. data out there. As p dog shooter said just use the starting load for the 240 gr.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
In my Lyman 46th book the 429215 215 gr boolit has a starting load of 11.4 grs of Herco, Max of 13.5 grs.
Start velocity is 984, max is 1205. That's out of a 4 inch vented test barrel. No Green Dot though.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee reloading manuel lists 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Green Dot with a 240 grain lead bullet for 1170 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google Alliant powder, new owners, of formerly Hercules powder company. There is data all over the web. As said, Herco should be good. Green dot is a little fast for that performance level, although plinker loads... very good. Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The loads for Green Dot will probably be listed under 44 Spl, which will work for the 44 Mag just as 38 Spl loads work for 357 Mag.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote