New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with leading please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 44 mag super Blackhawk. My cast bullets are micing. 433. I powder coat them and done the hammer test. I'm shooting them in a 44russian case I'm still getting so.e leading in the first 2 inches of my barrel. What am I missing. I really want to be able to shoot all these bullets I made

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What are you using for a metal source?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What size are the throats of your cylinder? May be thread choke which can be fire lapped out.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
Read over chapter #7 on Leading. You can download a PDF copy of the book to your computer for future use.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Posts: 35 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by res45:
Read over chapter #7 on Leading. You can download a PDF copy of the book to your computer for future use.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Thanks for the link!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be measuring the revolver.
cramming 433 down to 429 for a 430 barrel is gonna leave a mark somewhere.

I would also look real close at removing the thread choke in the barrel under the frame.

powder coat is just that a coat.
you still have to do the work and make the measurements.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I would be measuring the revolver.
cramming 433 down to 429 for a 430 barrel is gonna leave a mark somewhere.

I would also look real close at removing the thread choke in the barrel under the frame.

powder coat is just that a coat.
you still have to do the work and make the measurements.

+1 I just use PC as a form of lube that has a couple added benefits. The bullet still has to fit properly.

Posts: 35 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, size the boolits to the chamber throats. slug the bore and determine if there is a bore restriction at the frame. If the mechanics of a revolver are proper and one shoots a boolit of the proper size, bhn, lube type, gas check,etc. are not that big of an issue. Leading is not an issue.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
X2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is your problem; you are getting leading even at 44 Russian velocities; why? Because the bullets have to jump, free floating, through a long, huge, "throat", i.e., the chamber of the 44 mag cylinder; before they hit the cylinder throat, and then the forcing cone, then the rifling. You are getting gas cutting, most likely. Revolvers need a bullet that either will not gas cut at all, like a copper one, or one that is soft enough to obturate and fill all the open spaces; which it will never do in a chamber. So, no matter how hard your bullets are, nor what they are coated with, they get gas cut that way. Try them in 44 mag brass at the same low velocities, and report back.
And of course your cylinder throats cannot be smaller than the barrel groove diameter; that also causes gas cutting. A jacketed bullet can take that but no lead alloy can.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote