New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tpr Brets SKS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Come Bretty, you know I posted a lot on the Yugo SKS. You don't have to ask that question, just do a search, or ask Junior...I got him straightened out on it. Ask him if I was right. Aim Surplus bout the best place to get them.

I'm sure some of the CB snoops will inform you of this post.

posted Hide Post
Yes Joe, and if I ever get one that shoots like you claim I'll be a happy guy. We just need a couple to keep the bad guys heads down if TSHTF.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bret,

My Yuko SKS was unissued, so the bore was pristine and it miked dead on .310. I can tell you I was surprised for a military barrel for how smooth the bore was. Like it came from Sako. Don't forget now that I put quite a few loads through my SKS testing (about 2000) and that I have a dedicated scope on it, a Choate mount that you drill and tap the receiver for. There is no slop in this. Bret there's nothing wrong with the grenade model and frankly you won't find an as good model 59, because they are very scare now. With that said just take the grenade sights, bayonet, and what looks like a non-vented flash hider on the muzzle. There is a pin in the muzzle piece and contrary to what you may hear or read elsewhere, those little buggers are threaded on and mighty tight. They are right hand threads so don't worry about turning it off counterclockwise. I had to heat mine and use a big pipe wrench, as I didn't care if I marred it. In which case it didn't, that is quite some hard steel. By the way that part got turned into piece of the gas check maker I made for 45 2.1

Check Aim Surplus out and see if you can land one that rates Very Good or Excellent. Another company that usually has them is InterOrdanance...and also SOG (Souther Ohio Guns)

Good luck
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tpr Bretty Boy,

I'm glad you listened and got a Yugo SKS. Okay, here's the deal. As I told you mine is scoped. I've done a lot of tweaks, glass bedded, the scope, trigger work, took all the grenade stuff off, recrowned the muzzle, neck sized brass, weighed the charges, etc. Now depending on how many you shoot in a group, it shoots like I said. I'll chew a 5/8 inch hole with some many rounds and then get a flyer. I don't weigh the bullets and don't think that would make a whole heck of a lot of difference. My gun doesn't mind how many rounds you put through it either, doesn't seem to reach a fouling point and then start throwing them all over the place, unlike my 260 Rem which does. But I clean it every so often anyways. Now I'm on to something major with that very few people know about the 7.62x39, 45 2.1 knows and Remington knows, if that gives you a hint. Soon as I try this I'll let yall know.

By the way Troopy, that group in that thread that 45 2.1 posted called "6.5...at speed" was mine with an AR15.....2023 fps...and it's even doing better. I'm arguing with some fellows on another forum, well not actually arguing, but debating what's the number in a group. They are going by 3 and I say heck at least 5 or 10. If we go by just 3 Troopy, my 6.5 AR15 is a one holer and a very small one at that. In that group I just told you about that bottom hole has four bullets in it, then I pulled the top one. Those bullets aren't weighed by the eay either. So don't think that I can't do it.

Your buddy Joe clap jumping

One of Us
Picture of 1875SharpsShooter
posted Hide Post
No doubt on the accuracy of the Yugo's. A pal had one that he sporterized with a fiberglass stock, trigger work and topped it off with a decent Nikon scope. It was very easy to keep 12" steel plate ringing at 300m, and 100m groups with surplus were in the 1.5" or a bit less range.

SS

Whatdaya mean...........there's other calibers besides 45-70

Posts: 194 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1875SharpsShooter:
No doubt on the accuracy of the Yugo's. A pal had one that he sporterized with a fiberglass stock, trigger work and topped it off with a decent Nikon scope. It was very easy to keep 12" steel plate ringing at 300m, and 100m groups with surplus were in the 1.5" or a bit less range.

SS

Was your friend shooting cast bullets? I tried my Yugo at 300 yards off the bench and it will hold a 4 in groups which impressed me for what the rifle is.

I forgot to mention that I also have the gas valve turned off because I hate chasing brass and that makes a very slight improvement in groups.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of 1875SharpsShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
quote:

SS

Was your friend shooting cast bullets? I tried my Yugo at 300 yards off the bench and it will hold a 4 in groups which impressed me for what the rifle is.

I forgot to mention that I also have the gas valve turned off because I hate chasing brass and that makes a very slight improvement in groups.

Joe

No, he was using surplus ammo from ??? The groups you mention are fine shooting. Cast is all I have shot for many years and I can appreciate the effort you put into making them work so well.

SS

Whatdaya mean...........there's other calibers besides 45-70

Posts: 194 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
quote:

SS

Joe

No, he was using surplus ammo from ??? The groups you mention are fine shooting. Cast is all I have shot for many years and I can appreciate the effort you put into making them work so well.

SS

Thanks for you kind words. I just loaded up some just 30 mins ago and made a change I won't mention till I see what it does.

Joe