Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coating cat bullets...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just consider the source.....

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a distanced the group was shot at.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry P Dog Shooter. I posted this in a couple other forums and neglected to mention range in this one. Shot at 99.3 yds at my new property in Idaho panhandle. I rounded it off at 100 yds on those forums.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
Sorry P Dog Shooter. I posted this in a couple other forums and neglected to mention range in this one. Shot at 99.3 yds at my new property in Idaho panhandle. I rounded it off at 100 yds on those forums.

Just giving you some didn't see a distance so I thought I would throw one out. Wink

Not giving it leaves one open to such. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
-------
These are plain based bullets as cast which I will size to .410" and shoot at normal cast velocities although I am tempted to run a few at full speed and see how they do. The PC bullets can take full velocity normally but most guys are using gas checked bullets either coated before the check or with the check.
I may throw a lubed wad in there just to protect the base.

They started about .408" and now measure .411-.412" so I might be laying it on a little heavy with the gun.
Sure look nice though.
-----------
I think they are looking pretty darn good!

on the .410's---
Any non- gas-check standard velocity data to report yet ?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I have only shot these with 60grs of Varget, backer rod filler and no lube of any kind.
No cleanup issues at all at that speed.
I plan on trying some full boat loads with them too but will probably lube them since I am resizing them to .410" anyway.
I think the backer rod will protect the base to some degree but a full power load may not allow anything other than a card or something thin under the bullet.
I will post the results when I get around to trying that.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Thank you-
Have always used Gas Check Heat Treated No.2 or Linotype in the DR's--
Find this very interesting-

On some 300gr WFN -
May try-
http://www.allpowderpaints.com...lors/sd-copper-3000/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. So no one has any powder coated bore/velocity limit reports? popcorn

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
w hunter
i posted some a while back on this forum....i usedcast bullets with hi tek coating and powder coated bullets no leading nothing....
Then a while back i fired some cast bullets coated with HI TEK coating BNH OF 13 and ran then in my 416 Ruger with 65 gns of varget and was geting a velocity of 2180 fired 18 rounds and no leading with lubed bullets thebarrel was grey/leaded after one round

the days of lubing bullets are over for me....its either powder coating or hi tek coating....how ever im leaning towards the hi tek coatings i still feel its better then powder coating

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote