New
Find
Notify
Tools

General info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking into casting my own for 45 colt cowboy loads. Can someone suggest a link with good general info for someone with no idea about casting, what fluxing is for, etc etc. I used to play around with wheel weights and a camp stove to make 50 cal round balls for a muzzle loader, but I really have no clue about alloys, lubes and such.

Thanks,
Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have found a great forum for a new caster. Just ask and you will learn, (and don't forget to buy a lyman cast bullet manual.)

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you look at the top of the page, there is a search feature. I'd search for new caster, et all and see what posts pop up. This was just recently covered. The other option is set the page up to show posts from the last year, and search through all the posts.

You don't need any fancy alloys, just use wheelweights and cast them hot enough so they fill out the mold.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Lee was making a special run of 6cavity 45colt cowboy mold. I don't know if they are still availible. email cust service for details.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd strongly recommend buying the Lyman Cast bullet handbook. Most current edition is third, has most everything you'll need to know and lots of good reloading data. I think it is a great investment.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote