New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Roger lcp llight loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to load some extremely light loads for shooting 3 to 5 yards just to get a feel for this revolver. I bought 500 speer 358 diameter 158 cast bullets. Also have 100 Hornaday 125gr xtp bullets i could use. I have bullseye win 231, win 540 which is said to be the same as hs6, blue dot, accurate #7, 2400, accurate #9, 110, win 296, imr 4227 and accurate 5744. Which powder should I use that is least likely to cause leading? Thank you for any information .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decided on 3.4gr of win 231. Low psi and just under 800 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That works

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One way you can do it even in your basement is with wax bullets.
Take .38 Spl. cases and drill out the flash hole with a 1/8" drill.
Get some parafin blocks from local supermarket or hardware store (used for canning jelly etc.)
Heat the blocks of parafin in a pan of hot water and use the case (chamfer the case mouth a little) and use as a cookie cutter. (it will be hard to do unless you place the case in a shell holder which allows the air to exit the case).
Prime only using the primer as the sole propellant.
Shoots low partly due to no recoil but is pretty accurate-good for about 15-20 feet.

Hip

P,S. You have to drill out the flash hole or the primers will back out of the primer pocket!

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you hipshoot