Find
Notify
Tools

Melting pot maintenance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted
The element in my Lyman melting pot resently rusted through and shorted out. I don't use it often, maybe once every 2 months. I've had it for about 4 years, that means I've used it about 20 - 30 times to cast 2000 - 3000 bullets. Is there some sort of care or maintenance that should be performed on the elements to make them last a bit longer. Is there some other option that I should look at before I buy another one.

Thanks
Robin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was faulty not knocking lyman products but have you considered Lee production pots? I know guys who have had them for years and they are still going strong. A good buy for under 50 bucks also! I have one and I like it a lot. Works great!

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bad element. Made the same as on a stove - should last a LOOOONG time.

I'd write Lyman.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a lee pot for 20 plus years now the only thing I have done is turn it on. It has went from being used weekly to seating around for more then a year. Has always worked when needed.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robin, that is strange. My Lyman was made in 1961 and is still going strong. I have had to clean the contacts several times and adjust the thermostat. I bought a Lee 20# pot and like it a lot. I have three pots, two Lee's and the Lyman. I need a fourth and will buy another Lee. I use wheel weghts, pure lead, hard lead and 1 to 20 mix. Much easier to have a pot for each.
I have to wonder if you have stored it in a very damp place.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically these pots build up rust on the inside and then must overheat to do normal melting. (rust is an insulator) When you keep a pot like that for long periods, clean out the rust before use.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote