New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use monotype?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up about 50 lbs of monotype and am not sure how much to add to WW to alloy. How different from linotype is monotype? Usually I cast with WW's + 2% tin and water drop out of the mold. Any suggestions how much I should add to WW's for a good hard cast alloy?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO David 2% addition of tin is far too much. 1/2 to 1% tin pours just as good.

Lino is 12-4-84. Monotype is on the order of 17-7-76 with that blend varying-- I've heard alot of variation quoted in the recipe.

One part lino to nine parts ww alloy is used by alot of guys and casts well-- bucket dropping to around straight lino for bhn. Mono would exceed that by a small margin alloyed at the same rate.

What you have is a long term supply of alloying mix-- for tin and custom blending to match a specific dia in a bore per a bullet feature etc. I use lino to alloy a couple molds for an exacting fit-- the antimony is what gives the dia increase. In my case sligtly over a thou in 30 cal. Mono would go even farther as an alloying agent.

Any significant hardening of ww alloy vs water dropping or oven treatment would require a significant percentage of monotype, which on it's own runs around 28 bhn. Oven treatment exceeds that generally.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
on my mono i can go 3-1 ww/mono and still get
15bhn,mono is harder with more tin in it somewhere in the 10-15% range for tin,mono hardness is 24-28 bhn, lino is 22-23bhn usually.

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a batch of electronic connectors with steel pins sticking out. The body is some kind of hard lead alloy. I have been treating it like lino.

Anybody have a guess as to what it really is?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a bunch of lyno and mono that was mixed togehter and just melted it all into one alloy and I found that a bullet casted from it tests at about 21 bhn one thing you have to realize is that alot of the type metal that you pick up has be reused many times and has lost some of the tin and antimony that was in it new. Best thing to do is to cast a bullet from it and hardness test it to see what you have. I cast alot of my high velocity handgun and rifle bullets from 5050 lyn. and wheelweight just cause i have a good supply and it makes nice bullets. We have pushed them to 2000fps in the .35 rem .444 4570 and .50 alaskan with no leading and they have preformed perfectly on game.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
MR Lloyd,i'm very knew to this,what do you consider good performance for cast bullet is there any expansion or does it act like a solid,i have only shot 3 animals with cast bullets they all acted like a solid,these with bought bullets im trying to get softer bullets by casting my own.i dont think handgun velocities are high enough to get expansion,going to try 14-16 bhn bullets ,what you think

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dont worry about expansion with anything bigger then a .41 look for penetration hard cast bullets will kill just as well as a hp bullet.
quote:
Originally posted by 475/480:
MR Lloyd,i'm very knew to this,what do you consider good performance for cast bullet is there any expansion or does it act like a solid,i have only shot 3 animals with cast bullets they all acted like a solid,these with bought bullets im trying to get softer bullets by casting my own.i dont think handgun velocities are high enough to get expansion,going to try 14-16 bhn bullets ,what you think

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote