New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to casts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not loaded cast bullets in years but with the shortage of jacket bullets for my .35 Remington I am now going to start up again.
I bought a box of powder coated .358 190 gr rifle bullets, my question is : can I use the same reload data I use for jacket bullets...i.e., I load 40gr IMR 3031 for 180 gr bullet right around 2400 fps?

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically cast bullets are loaded to lower velocities. I would go for something between 1400-1800 fps. Deer probably won’t know the difference at 100 yards or less.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 936 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if they are gas checked you can do a lot better than 1800 fps with a cast bullet.
the 35's will let you run cast bullets pretty fast.
my 358 win runs a 250gr. cast bullet at full throttle with RL-19.
no sense running jacketed at that point.

as a side note Remington says they are gonna make 35 rem. ammo this year, it's in their 23 catalogue.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
if they are gas checked you can do a lot better than 1800 fps with a cast bullet.
the 35's will let you run cast bullets pretty fast.
my 358 win runs a 250gr. cast bullet at full throttle with RL-19.
no sense running jacketed at that point.

***They are powder coated, I'm hoping to get 2,100-2,300 fps out of a Marlin 336.****

as a side note Remington says they are gonna make 35 rem. ammo this year, it's in their 23 catalogue.

*****sticker price is a shocker...$53+/20*****

One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy jeezus.
I didn't see the price, just the catalog mentioning them.
$3.00 a shot.... F-me.

I hope they release some corelock bullets anyway.
the 35 rem and their new buck hammer round will both use the 200gr. RN.
well I hope they do and don't want a buck apiece for them.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cost of ALL ammo these days really prohibits the use of casual plinking. I load all my own ,but even the components are up there. I was in the hardware store the other day + they have boxes of ammo behind the counter + I saw a box of 45 L.C. (50 cnt.) for $139.95.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here a pound of IMR3031 is $50+! Start dropping 40 grs from the powder measure and it isn't going to be long and you are empty again!
175 rounds to be exact!! Still, with a cast bullet a charge of 3031 and a primer I can reload a .35 Rem for around $.75 a round and my time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2th doc--Lyman regular reloading manual has plenty of cast data. Their Cast reloading manual has even more. I'd say buying either one would be dollars well spent.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mention cast manuals and many (not me) are highly pleased with Veral Smiths "book" "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets." I consider it more of a pamphlet than a book. It's 131 pages--no data and full of misspelled words. It's only about 6"x8" so to me a pamphlet. It is priced higher than the Lyman Manuals. They do all the research and include data and produce a full sized book and he sells his for more? Now that I have knocked his book if you want one to get it I guess this is still current--$26 to Judy Smith HCR 62 Box 145 Moyie Springs Id 83845.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar your 358 at full throttle might be plenty--but from bad experience a .243 cast at jacketed speed doesn't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
2th doc--Lyman regular reloading manual has plenty of cast data. Their Cast reloading manual has even more. I'd say buying either one would be dollars well spent.

Thank you, I am more of an archer than gun guy but one thing about being old is you get there by not blowing your head off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a .35 Rem. there is in no way in hell that there is a need to push a bullet more than 1700-1900 fps. ESPECIALLY a cast bullet!

Hip

Posts: 1802 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those small bullets just make holes in stuff.
when we were at the Nevada B.R. shoot some of the guys didn't believe it so much.

so I scrounged up an 18" piece of wood from the parking area and shot about 15 holes through it with my 7mm using the lyman 145gr. silhouette bullet out on the 100yd. berm.

the 358 works differently at the higher speeds.
the meplat alloy balance is a lot different, and I have to use the saeco 250gr bullet at the top end.
if I want to shoot deer and not Elk and the range is within 150yds.
then the rcbs 200gr bullet at 1900-2-K is probably the better choice.

meplat, alloy, and velocity all have to work together.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Lamar
So what numbers does one want to aim for if the quarry is elk and not deer?

Just starting with the original Group Buy Ranch Dog 200 grain (220 gr. in my alloy) projie in the 35 Remington.
3031 and AA2200 powder so far on my quest for a "full power" loading.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Lamar

Just starting with the original Group Buy Ranch Dog 200 grain (220 in my alloy) projie in the 35 Remington.
3031 and 2200 so far for "full power" loading.

220 yr @ 2200 is full power for sure!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Lamar

Just starting with the original Group Buy Ranch Dog 200 grain (220 in my alloy) projie in the 35 Remington.
3031 and 2200 so far for "full power" loading.

220 gr @ 2200 is full power for sure!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run the saeco # 248 cast from 2% tin and 3% antimony water dropped at 18 BHN.
the BHN isn't the important part.

the Saeco has a smallish flat meplat.
on top of 50grs. of RL-19 it's coming out of my barrel at about 2350 fps.
the smaller meplat doesn't mush all up real fast like the lee/RCBS 200 does making it act like a varmint bullet at the higher speeds.

by the time it has enough resistance to start flattening the nose more and causing the bullet to do maybe weird stuff it's halfway through an ELK.
the smaller nose punches through a rib pretty well too because it puts a lot more pressure into the smaller flat part of the nose and the weight can push it through straighter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar, if you don't stop all of this snowing we won't have any elk left to shoot!

Dick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ain't me.
I got nowhere left to put the stuff since they widened my street and took out that 20' spot I made when I bought the place.

the only good thing is it's soft so the dogs can't chase them down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2th doc---Do you know what time Chinese go to the dentist? Tooth hurty

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, along those same lines, several years ago a buddy went down old Mexico + they saw a couple on the side of the road + James says, " Pull over, I speak their lingo." Then like any other American , he just talks louder + says, "your car breaky down?"

Posts: 4132 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote