Notify
Tools

30 Tumble lube Plinker 6 cav
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
Grumble's got it, you really really want the C113-309-RF;
outa' my 32-20 Colt Army Special , sans check and a single tumble lube in Lee Alox, they do just
fine. Still workin' on an accuracy load there,7.5gr of 2400 gives about 2-3" for a full cylinder at 25yds, good for me with a 80yr old handgun. In my Marlin 336(22"), over a midrange load of Rx7 with check and a Felix inspired lube, I get 2300fps and MOA. Well worth grabbing a 2 cavity from Midway for under $20 and giving it a go.
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys!

Yep, I think I have one of those 6 cavity 113 molds. Haven't had time to play with it or the other 2 molds still new in the box. ( the .357 180 grain just offered and a nei 4 cavity- hmmm, I think .....200 grain .30 cal very similiar to 311332 with a .301 nose.) This fall I promise myself to play for some weekends. And we usually cast in the wintertime. Make a day of it and make 5 - 8000 bullets.

I have the 311410 bullet now. It does all I can expect it to do. A few grains of a fast powder ( I don't give out data- liability, you know) and it is more accurate than I can hold offhand....which is 99% of my shooting. I was just wanting a tumble lube version of it. hmmm....maybe I could tumble lube my 130's....

So many projects- so little time or maybe Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... if scaled down to a 25 cal would be just the ticket for the 25-20, mebbe a checked version circa the 90gr mark?? And YES! you'd need another gun, {;o).

Mind you, you could go for a bolt action in somepin like a 257 Roberts,,,, or a 25-06, or a TC barrel in 256 WinMag, now there's a fun cartridge!!! Whatcha' think trk? What would somepin' like that in 25cal look like in CAD??? /quote]

R*2 -- I'll scribe a few lines for your pleasure. The old 'game getter' (25-20) is still a good round.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=172226&c=500&z=1"][/url]

or: http://www.hunt101.com/img/172226-big.jpg

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trk, OUTSTANDING!!

Um, would you mind starting a new thread for this, please? I get confused too
easily, and can't remember which boolit we're talking about. Hell, at my age, I
feel lucky to remember where my clean socks are, nevermind great-looking mold
designs!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim!
Oh you are slick with dem fancy lines! Tank you, tank you!
Looks great,,,,, but for higher velocities,,,Gas check?
Now if we could get Lee to make a 6-banger,,, I'd certainly take one! Hell, I'd settle for 2 cavities! And hang the expense of getting a custom .258 sizer to go along with it,
Whatcha' think gennulmen?????
Cheers,
R*2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble, Russe11 - It's just a drawing. IF SOMEONE wants to make it a project I'll support it, but THEY need to start the new thread and assume LEADERSHIP. It's going to take a little research to determine the diameters. Weight is a given - in .25-20 if you get above 90 gr. it's not going to stabilize.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Okay, a couple of points that need to be looked into.
1. what nose will feed in a leveraction 30-30 M-94 or Marlin 336?

2. Do we want the base completely contained in the neck of a 30-30?

Tomorrow I"ll try to turn a brass bullet to the dimensions listed and try it in my M94. I'll do a chamber case to see what the dimensions are. If someone could do a chamber cast of a Marlin that would help.

What is a good nose to body length ratio that will work well?

Lets look at these issues and go from there.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45-
My answers to your post:
1. Lyman 311041, 311291, 311241, 311008; RCBS 30-150-FN, 30-180-FN, 30-150-CM; LEE 150&170 FN
all feed well.
2. A 30-30 has about the longest neck that will be used. What would be the point in making it
longer than what will fit into this neck? The base of the bullet would be gas cut slightly
more if it would protrude past the base of case neck.
"Tomorrow I"ll try to turn a brass bullet to the dimensions listed and try it in my M94. I'll do
a chamber case to see what the dimensions are. If someone could do a chamber cast of a Marlin
that would help".
Marlins like a fatter bullet and if you go beyond a .302" nose it might not fit in other
leverguns.
"What is a good nose to body length ratio that will work well?"
A bullet that has a base to crimp groove that fits into the 30-30 neck length and a crimp
groove to meplat distance that is .007 to .100" shorter than that of a Lyman 311041 which
is maximum for the 30-30. This is about what an old Lyman 311241 bullet has and they shoot
great out of the 30-30. The major problem with most all current molds is that they are gas
checked and have a nose diameter (.297" to .300") that is too small.

one of us
posted Hide Post
lar45: If you turn up a brass "master" bullet, it is quite easy to make a Plaster-of-Paris mould from it from which you could run a dozen or so castings (the material is not very durable for more than that) you could experiment with. It's easy and cheap to do; PM me for details (as a kid, I used to "bootleg" copies of tin soldiers, etc., this way). floodgate

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The original thought was to have the body inside a 30-30 neck, but with the many revisions that part was lost sight of. Do you have a number for nose length? .3" .4" ?
So I'm guessing, make the body to fit inside a 30-30 neck, then add the correct nose length and see what the weight turns out to be?
what about the maximum length of the full diameter .310" of the front drive band? .1" .05" .03" ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45-
I will measure my mold and give you the results tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45-
I spent some of yesterday evening machineing WW bullets. The length total should be about 0.855" to get a 160 gr. bullet. Base of bullet to crimp groove should be 0.426" which is 30-30 neck length. Conversion from cubic inch to grains weight is about 2,908 gr. per cu. in. This was calculated from RCBS manual showing weight and diameter changes for a 165 gr. and 30 cal. bullet. I am sending both you and trk an Autocad14 dwg. of the bullet as I have outlined for your perusals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The original thought was to have the body inside a 30-30 neck, but with the many revisions that part was lost sight of. Do you have a number for nose length? .3" .4" ?
So I'm guessing, make the body to fit inside a 30-30 neck, then add the correct nose length and see what the weight turns out to be?
what about the maximum length of the full diameter .310" of the front drive band? .1" .05" .03" ?

Lars,
With the 'backass boolit' approach, my "new" M336A seats a crisp edged condom with .120" showing, the once-fired case, not from this particular chamber, measures at 2.035".
For my particular rifle, this should mean that with the existing drwg on the board here, I could ez use the first TL groove to crimp in, and possibly the second. Works for me with a nose lgth of .320" + .200" of exposed TL grooves would probably just feed thru the Marlin. And with that COL would be very close to engraving in the throat.
That keeps all the rest of the boolit body in the neck, and tthe option of shortening back to .420" nose with an ez adjustment.
Works for me!
And I suspect should work for most, the short driving band would go in even the shortest of throat lever actions. For ultimate seating/accuracy, the TL grooves offer at least some options, but lest we forget, we are talkin' a simple plinker that should suit a variety of chambers.
Cheers,
R*2

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
All, I turned a brass boolit and it fed through my M-94 flawlessly. We are working out the final as cut dimensions to get the cast dimensions right. When that's settled, we'll post the final pic and start accepting orders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we're very close.

The following is a MINIMUM chamber (SAAMI specs. for 30-30):

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=176192&c=500&z=1"]

[/url]

The two sets of lines in the bore are .300 and .308 (minimum SAAMI dimensions, max being .302 and .310")

The one green vertical line is where the neck of the cartridge (OD) should fall. The two green vertical lines are the minimum and maximum cartridge lengths.

The bullet is slightly engaged into the throat - to a depth of .0010 inches (all around) at the point of tangency of the ogive and the .302 diameter of the nose (minimal).

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I'm ready to take a look at the final design for this "skinny" 30!!

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All, I turned a brass boolit and it fed through my M-94 flawlessly. We are working out the final as cut dimensions to get the cast dimensions right. When that's settled, we'll post the final pic and start accepting orders.

Lars,
Tim's "nearly final" drawing looks great to me, let me know when you want some $'s,,, I'm in!
Cheers,
R*2