Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-1886 .45-70 loads?
 Login/Join

posted
Just picked up a newer M-1886 clone...the Browning 26" OBFMSB, in 100% condition. As the last 1886 (same profile!) I owned was a REAL one 41 years ago, I've forgotten what makes good ammo for these rifles.

I have found two good loads for 350 gr. cast bullets...one is 29.0 grs. 2400, the other is 58.0 grs. VV-N135.

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions for either light bullets, or hopefully, for the plain-based Ly457124 and Ly457125?

(Please include alloy, lube make, and bullet sizing diameter)

Many thanks in advance...

Posts: 5 | Location: Roseburg, Oregon | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
The newer 1886 is every bit as strong as the Marlin (maybe stronger) you can use the marlin data.
My favorite powder remains Rel 7, followed closely by H4198.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Lloyd de Vore
I'm loading up buckets full of the Saeco 350 grain gas checked bullet. I use Rl-7, 50 grains fired up with the Winchester large rifle primer. Basically I'm shooting them as cast, I'm running the bullets through the sizer to crimp on the gas check and fill the lube grooves with LBT blue. These bullets mike out at .459.
The alloy is wheel weights with a bit of tin added to ease casting.
When I want to really punish myself I'll take to shooting my 445 grain Lyman bullet. The cressant butt plate intimidates me.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

ArkyPete - That crescent buttlplate CAN feel like a killer. Luckily mine is a "shotgun" buttplate at the moment. I have the brand new "rifle" (arched) buttplate stock set aside unused. This stock is a very fancy piece of black walnut, with recoil pad and cheekpiece. Relatively speaking, very comfortable to use.

Am just going down stairs to the shop to load some more ammo for it, and have lots of Re-7 on hand, so will try your 50 gr load. Thanks again.

Anybody else got some suggestions?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DE-pends on the amount of speed your looking for Lloyd. Alliant 7 is good in the 45 as is 3031. Yet the best group I've fired with 405's PB was with 7828. Yeah you heard me right. Caseful of super slow mildly compressed about went into one hole at 100. Coulda been Lady Luck, but several guys have reported 7828 shooten good-- some using very soft alloys in a 30/30 for instance. I was always going to try some Alliant 22 with the same bullet.. I think I'll load a five shot for the next trip. Good Luck.

Excellent postings on the BR thread BTW.. well done.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sky C.
posted Hide Post
Howdy Lloyd-

I am not of the school that subscribes to the "need for speed" - especially with the iron sighted big bore guns. Seems to me that the .45-70 was a good hunting round back when it was stoked with BP & velocities were in the 1100fps to 1200fps range. I am running slightly quicker than that with my current loads but just because that's what I've stumbled into that shoots well.

In my Browning 1886...

Applegate 425gr. WLN-GC, WW + 2% Sn - air cooled, sized .459"
Lube: 50/50 mix of LBT Blue & Darr Formula (a soft consistancy lube)
Firm crimp with LEE FCD
Primer: WLR
Loaded OAL: 2.540"

AA-2015, 35.0 grs., topped w/green florist's foam compressed approx. 1/16" when bullet is seated, 1450fps, SD 6. Shot off sandbag rest fm solid bench. All shots cutting one hole at 50yds w/ issue open sights.

AA-2200 Data Powder, 38.0 grs., topped w/green florist's foam compressed approx. 1/16" when bullet is seated, 1420fps, SD 14. Shot off sandbag rest fm solid bench. All shots cutting one hole at 50yds w/ issue open sights.

Best regards-

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

Posts: 103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aladin and SkyC

Well, I'm not after.458 Win loads, either. Have a .458 Win on a 1903 Rock Island "Springfield" if I want to do that thing.

I understand a material either the same as or similar to the florists' foam is also available at Home De(s)pot, too. I've been told the name of it a dozen times, but keep forgetting...anyone know it?

I tried shooting the 50 grs. of Re-7 mentioned above, today, with Hornady 350 gr. RN Jacketed bullets. Group measured .752" for 5 shots, iron sights, at 75 yards. Then I fired 5 shots of same bullet, 52 grs of RWS 5000 powder. Group grew to .970"...both shoot 1-hole groups at 75 yards, and to the same point of impact. Talk about "S...House Luck"!!

Have a bunch of AA-2200 around, Sky, so will try that next.

Tried to shoot some "Berry's Bullets" copper plated cast 350 grain bullets today, but unfortunately with the case crimped into the crimp groove, they are about .050"-.100" too long to chamber. Will push them a little deeper and shoot them next Sunday also. They are also loaded with 50.0 gr. Re-7 and 52.0 grs. RWS 5000.

Will be trying your loads too, Aladin...just can't cite them by components right here because while typing this I can't see your post...

As I see that the rifle is able to shoot good groups with the powders I have at hand, will also start trying some of the .460" diameter cast bullets I have ready to load...and will report back.

Thanks everybody.

AC

[ 03-24-2003, 06:53: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote