THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Aluminium Molds Better Than Other Metals??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
What quantities of bullets do you cast?

George

George, I generally caste about 100 bullets of each type and caliber per session. It takes a few hours from beginning to clean up, which is about all I can spare on any given day. I may caste once per month or twice per month.

My criticism of aluminum is two fold... they are too easily damaged, and often overheat while casting. Other than that, they do work well... but brass has been the most enjoyable and worry free material to caste with.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In answer to the posting top,what you prefer,a chevy or a ford. I have found both moulds of different metalaurgy to be equally sufficient.Both have served me admirally.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been casting since 1976. Over 150 molds of every make, 4 20 pots and over 100k bullets cast. I can't discern an appreciable difference in the mold material. What's more important that the material is knowing that most molds require a slightly different pouring technique, heat temperature, and proper venting to turn out great bullets. Once you have discovered which technique works for each mold then you can get consistent weight projectiles.